• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boris puts his foot in it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Two thoughts:

1) The increased uptake of the full face veil is symptomatic of the spread of Wahhabism in the UK, a fundamentalist version of Islam akin to a fascist ideology, funded by Saudi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahhabism#Appearance
    That's pretty much what a Bangladeshi lad told me - it's the Saudi-funded mosques in the UK that are pushing the conservative/fascist dress, etc. While we're balls deep in arms deals with them, we're probably not going to flush it out as an issue either.

2) Religion is not, nor should be protected from ridicule or satire, hate yes. If someone dresses in a stupid way and believes stupid things then in a free society it ok to say so even if the target finds it offensive. No one has the right not to be offended. Too many people are conflating offence with hate.
    The big problem with this is that it goes completely against Islam's tenets. Take the mickey out of Mohammed and you're in deep shizzle.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      That's pretty much what a Bangladeshi lad told me - it's the Saudi-funded mosques in the UK that are pushing the conservative/fascist dress, etc. While we're balls deep in arms deals with them, we're probably not going to flush it out as an issue either.

The big problem with this is that it goes completely against Islam's tenets. Take the mickey out of Mohammed and you're in deep shizzle.
      Indeed lest we forget and all that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Hebdo_shooting

Comment

Two thoughts:

1) The increased uptake of the full face veil is symptomatic of the spread of Wahhabism in the UK, a fundamentalist version of Islam akin to a fascist ideology, funded by Saudi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahhabism#Appearance

2) Religion is not, nor should be protected from ridicule or satire, hate yes. If someone dresses in a stupid way and believes stupid things then in a free society it ok to say so even if the target finds it offensive. No one has the right not to be offended. Too many people are conflating offence with hate.
        I happen to despise all religions, which is why when people bring up Islamic gangs in the north raping minors, one could also bring up the many similar wholesale rapes that happened under the watch of the Catholic church in their institutions.

Problem is, in the current environment, hate is on the increase.
        Islamist fundamentalists and far-right supporters are 2 sides of the same coin - both provoking each other to further and further outrage.
        Sensible people of whatever faith or none stay calm and keep their counsel, rationality and humanism intact.

But when a contender for PM of the UK makes a cheap jibe intended to appeal to the lowest common denominator, stirring up both the Islamist fundamentalists AND far-right idiots, he ceases to be a contender. Or would cease to be if we lived in a common sense world.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

"But when a contender for PM of the UK makes a cheap jibe intended to appeal to the lowest common denominator, stirring up both the Islamist fundamentalists AND far-right idiots, he ceases to be a contender. Or would cease to be if we lived in a common sense world."

Have you heard of Donald Trump - possibly the most powerful man in the world?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            "But when a contender for PM of the UK makes a cheap jibe intended to appeal to the lowest common denominator, stirring up both the Islamist fundamentalists AND far-right idiots, he ceases to be a contender. Or would cease to be if we lived in a common sense world."

Have you heard of Donald Trump - possibly the most powerful man in the world?
            What's your point? We should all join in in a race to the bottom?
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

No point, the moron Trump has reached bottom already.

I'd do my paging LHO thing but the PTB can't even find a patsy these days.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Islamic gangs in the north raping minors
                As if Thatcher closing all their pits down wasn't bad enough

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Just want to check, around the whole world, you found 3 instances since 2013, and that's enough to make it a very common thing that must be stopped at all costs?
                  Or is that not what you're saying?
                  3 examples in 30 seconds, I'm sure we can find more.

From my viewpoint its only the abuse of the Burqa to avoid identification and as a method of religious control.

They can paint themselves yellow and stick feathers up their arse (I believe You, NAT & Darmy ask for a number 72 with cluck from NLyUK when you want that) for all I care, so long as they can be identified and they aren't forced into it.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    I happen to despise all religions, which is why when people bring up Islamic gangs in the north raping minors, one could also bring up the many similar wholesale rapes that happened under the watch of the Catholic church in their institutions.

Problem is, in the current environment, hate is on the increase.
                    Islamist fundamentalists and far-right supporters are 2 sides of the same coin - both provoking each other to further and further outrage.
                    Sensible people of whatever faith or none stay calm and keep their counsel, rationality and humanism intact.

But when a contender for PM of the UK makes a cheap jibe intended to appeal to the lowest common denominator, stirring up both the Islamist fundamentalists AND far-right idiots, he ceases to be a contender. Or would cease to be if we lived in a common sense world.
                    Unfortunately your conclusions are wrong as usual.

The rise of Islamist Nutters began in the last period of the last century. The rise of the right & populism is this decade.

The rise of the right and populism is a reaction to immigration & aggression from extremists.

Boris is an idiot, scarily he will probably be the last idiot standing for PM.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The rise of the right and populism is a reaction to immigration & aggression from extremists
                      It mostly is. People who go on about Islamophobia do not stop to think why there is no Sikhophobia or Hinduophobia. For the simple reason that Sikhs and Hindus don't cause any problems, no more than the rest of us anyway.

Of course we should not blame an entire group for what some do but that's how human nature works unfortunately. And, in the context of immigration, it is not entirely irrational. Sensible people have a right to ask why we keep importing problems we never needed to have.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X