• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this legal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this legal

Hi,

I was unable to show up at the client site today due to the snow as my car is not good in the snow and it would be two buses and a train to get to the client site.

I did not take the customer laptop home which has VPN software needed, but I am happy to work from home using my own equipment.

But client manager is saying he will not pay for today even though I have been working all morning as best I can without VPN.

Is this legal or would it be against health & safety as I believe it would not be safe for me to attempt to get to client site in poor weather conditions.

There are many things I could still achieve today by working from home, e.g. taking pluralsight courses to improve my skills and allowing me accomplish assigned tasks faster once on client site. I offered to read solution documentation to improve my familiarity with the solution which will allow me to accomplish a greater number of assigned tasks but they say I should be familiar with solution by now and I have already been spending too much time in the past reading documents (???!!)

Also should they not be investing in staff by facilitating time out for self improvement?? I am also able to access webmail so could direct on-site staff remotely by email in resolution of tickets.

Client manager became quite agitated when I made these points, raising his voice and was actually quite abusive at one point, so I may be able to take this the HR route as well as it is against discrimination but would like to know if they have broken the contract law by not paying me anyway.

So did you actually deliver something for the client?

Comment

Are you a permanent member of Staff or a Contractor?

If you are a Contractor, then you should have anticipated not being able to get to work today and taken your Client laptop home with you. No work, no pay. Look to your Contract for the specific terms.

You have no recourse to their HR grievances, unless you are a Permie.
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Sounds like you’re a permie. So you should look elsewhere for advice.

If you’re not a permie then you should be looking for a permie role.

Comment

If you were employing a builder on a day rate, would you pay him for the days he didn't turn up?

This is very unclear, but broadly if you're a contractor then you don't have a leg to stand on and you can forget "taking it up with HR" whatever the **** that means.

Comment

Oh, this is either a troll or the OP is beyond pathetic:

https://forums.contractoruk.com/busi...ml#post2511030

Comment

Rule of thumb: when a thread starts 'Is this legal', then the answer is usually 'Yes'.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                Oh, this is either a troll or the OP is beyond pathetic:

https://forums.contractoruk.com/busi...ml#post2511030
                Haha. Same guy. Good spot.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  If you were employing a builder on a day rate, would you pay him for the days he didn't turn up?
                  Of course you pay him! As long as he is at home reading documentation on how to build stuff. You need to invest in his building skills.

Comment

Obvious wind-up but some people just can't resist the bait

Saurabh, you should be doing some work and not taking advantage of frequenters of these forums just because they're gullible
                    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X