• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That's all folks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's all folks

Had enough of living away from home for months on end. Gone back to the dark side and got a perm job 20 minute drive from home. Free parking, decent buildings, subsidised canteen, free hugs, etc.

I'd say it's been a pleasure but in the last few years contracting has become less and less enjoyable. Made many good friends and acquaintances (people and pubs!) on the road but that Dorothy bird was right, there's no place like home.

The most important thing I've learned is that something that was said to me 20 years ago was nearly right. When I asked for a pay rise when I was on about £16,500 a year, a senior manager said, "it's not all about the money." All I could think of wanting to say was, "let's swap salaries and bank accounts then!"

What I've now realised is that the saying should be is "it's not all about the money once you're earning enough to provide, entertain and save." Now that I'm in that position, I'm fortunate enough to get a decent but relatively stress-free job (yes, NLUK, THIS is a job!!!) and enjoy a much better work/life balance. Good luck to everyone who is still out there contracting - I suspect in coming years that you're going to need it.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Had enough of living away from home for months on end. Gone back to the dark side and got a perm job 20 minute drive from home. Free parking, decent buildings, subsidised canteen, free hugs, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
      Team curry night in a couple of weeks.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Hope you're not in a team of one....

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
          Hope you're not in a team of one....

No, that would make me a contracting scumbag

Comment

You been bobbed?

It was team curry night every day.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You can checkout...

Comment

I'd say it's been a pleasure but in the last few years contracting has become less and less enjoyable. Made many good friends and acquaintances (people and pubs!) on the road but that Dorothy bird was right, there's no place like home.

The most important thing I've learned is that something that was said to me 20 years ago was nearly right. When I asked for a pay rise when I was on about £16,500 a year, a senior manager said, "it's not all about the money." All I could think of wanting to say was, "let's swap salaries and bank accounts then!"

What I've now realised is that the saying should be is "it's not all about the money once you're earning enough to provide, entertain and save." Now that I'm in that position, I'm fortunate enough to get a decent but relatively stress-free job (yes, NLUK, THIS is a job!!!) and enjoy a much better work/life balance. Good luck to everyone who is still out there contracting - I suspect in coming years that you're going to need it.
                Splitter!!!!!

I have a feeling you're making the right choice, which probably says far more about how freelancers are now regarded than anything else. Enjoy the new life.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

The only thing you’ll miss are the holidays
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

You're still allowed to visit as a contractor emeritus

Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
                    X