• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I might just be a whisky man!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I once was on a project in Paris for a year. The hotel I stayed in had for a few months the Whisky Society selling their wares. You could buy 1cl shots of different whiskies (2/5 of a pub measure), which meant it was easy to sample and compare a few whiskies per night. IIRC the most expensive was €7 for 1cl.

That's when I found that I prefer Speyside over Islay malts, and that the more expensive whiskies did taste better. My personal favourite regular drinking whiskey is Arbelour. OTOH if you've only got Lagavulin, I'll drink it!
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      I don't know much at all about whisky, but drinking a first edition, single malt distilled at Dailuaine 2004 Speyside Region (does this mean anything to anyone).

And.. have to admit it's lovely. Have I just won the lottery of whiskeys or can you get better?
      What's your verdict this morning? Have you woken up with a revised opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
        What's your verdict this morning? Have you woken up with a revised opinion?
        Hah no, I only had a large glass and it was strong but feel fine.

The whiskey I had was quite clear so perhaps it doesn’t have too many additives, either way I’m fine.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
          Yamazaki 12 Year Old and Crown Royal Canadian (this one's very affordable) are two good non-Jock whiskys.
          Another one in the same category.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...grain-whiskey/

Comment

If you aren't sure what you like treat yourself to one of these :

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...vent-calendar/

A shot each of 24 different whiskeys of all kinds. Not cheap but a good way to work out what you like and don't like without having to buy a full bottle every time.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Trendy whisky drinker turning into traditional whisky drinker

Comment

I was in the same boat, didn't know anything about whisky. I ended up drinking the best part of a bottle of Tallisker(sp?) with a friend and I was dreading the effects the next morning but woke up feeling just tired which was a real eye-opener.

I went a got a bottle of Lagavulin but I can't seem to drink it, I prefer the lighter coloured stuff, I think.

Comment

I might just be a whisky man!

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                  Yamazaki 12 Year Old
                  With you on that one. The 18 Y/O is better and the 25Y/O is sublime.

On Tuesday night I had a Jamesons Caskmates, never had it before and it was very drinkable. Hard to describe the flavour, it is matured in beer casks.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I have a very old Macallan or however it is spelt.

Anybody any views of The Macallan

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                      I have a very old Macallan or however it is spelt.

Anybody any views of The Macallan

Milan.
                      Lovely one from the spare bedroom window.

Comment

Working...
                      X