• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reasons for shorter rolling contract negotiation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reasons for shorter rolling contract negotiation

I am an IT contractor with a bank and have been contracting for several years, this is my 3rd client.

I was approahed by a consultancy for a more lucrative contract and I put myself forward for a daily rate of X.

Passed technical interviewing and the boss interview and got an offer.
    They lowballed me with X-25£ and 3 month rolling contract.

To my mind this is setting some alarm bells as normally in the industry I have seen 6 and 12 month contracts.

I said thanks but no thanks, citing these were not the terms I went in with.

They have come back saying they didnt intend for this and i can have the original terms (back on X rate and 6 month rolling)

I am still unsure however. Not so much about the rate, I can understand its a negotiation.
    But why would be the reasons to attempt a 3 month rather than 6 monh contract?

I guess flexibility on their side obviously.
    But could also be there is not much work lined up and they would like to take stock while I am on a weaker negotiating position...

Thoughts from anyone previously in this position?

It is probably to help the budget look good.

Can you confirm the terms of your rolling contract regarding termination? I once had a 30 day "rolling" contract that had no end date - either side could give 30 days notice.

I have always found that contractors and permanents are terminated at any time for any reason.

Comment

Originally posted by nicholas22 View Post
      I was approached by a consultancy
      I wonder how long their contract is with the end client...

Comment

3 month contracts does indicates more uncertainty than 6 month contracts but it doesn't mean they will throw you out after 3 months, this is more of a long term drive to reduce their contracting resources. I once had 3 month rolling contracts at a client and I was there for 15 months before they finally culled most of their contractors.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Can you confirm the terms of your rolling contract regarding termination? I once had a 30 day "rolling" contract that had no end date - either side could give 30 days notice.
          It says 30 days either side. Some exceptional cases I havent really seen before like termination without notice if client is unhappy or change of their circumstances. Not giving me a lot of confidence if I am honest.

Comment

The fact they said rolling contract would be more of a worry for me. Rolling contracts with no end date are a bad flag for IR35. If they say rolling as in they expect to renew you every 3 months then fair enough but it's just rubbish. Don't rely on any work past the contract you in.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

i'd be more concerned with them trying to screw you out of 25 quid a day, contract length is somewhat moot.

Comment

3 months is very normal as well. The vast majority of gigs I've been on have been 3 month terms. I was at two of them for 2 years. Pain in the arse going through the motions so regularly but it's small potatoes really. Most Public sector ones are 3 months due to their framework.

3 month contracts are no more or less risky. You should be able to get an idea based on the work they want you to do. If it's a massive project then more chance of it going on longer.

Never fall for the 'It's a low rate but we'll give you a long gig line' The gig is as long as the notice period and not even that really.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                  i'd be more concerned with them trying to screw you out of 25 quid a day, contract length is somewhat moot.
                  I agree. The contract I have seen seems to have various weasel terms around screwing me over even further. For example having all kinds of descretionary terms as to why the client might be unhappy about the quality and how I am liable to fix it in my own time (unpaid). Given they have shown to be petty from the get go, seems like a fairly dodgy contract to me at the mo!
                  Last edited by nicholas22; 16 January 2018, 18:33.

Comment

No winking in prof fora please.

Comment

Working...
                    X