• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Army trying to appeal to snowflakes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    well the housing is because their government (post millennium government) has overseen massive low level immigration while not building any houses. When I bought a house first time I had a choice of about 5 that were reasonable. My mates had a chance of getting a council house.

Now I am at the other end there are a few on the market at the top end. The ones at the bottom you need to earn £100k. To get a council house you need to be an orphan with 20 disabled kids.

Its not the Baby boomers that didn't build houses and welcomed immigration at 500k a year when the government didn't build any houses. So get stuffed snowflakes.
    Don't forget right to buy, I grew up on a council estate and the MIL still lives there on a recent visit I spoke to an old acquaintance who made his money in a non-legal fashion. He owns 5 houses that he now rents out, I asked him how the heck he managed to afford it and was shocked when he told me. He and his extended family bought their houses using right to buy and had huge discounts off the price we're talking around 40% of what they were valued years ago as well Who said crime doesn't pay
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Its not the Baby boomers that didn't build houses and welcomed immigration at 500k a year when the government didn't build any houses. So get stuffed snowflakes.
      That problem is in very few places in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
        I think it had to change, we're not in the 1970s and 80s any longer. The rather daft idea that 50% of kids should go to university has set up an entitlement view with the military being a very last choice for many.

If I were to leave school now rather than 30-ish years ago when I did, I'd have to be pretty desperate to join the army knowing how badly it has been hit with repeated cuts, benefit cuts (pensions, pay, etc.), gross increases in detached tours (when I joined it was a max of one six month detachment in 24 months, it's far worse now), morale decreases through persistent overwork and so on.

The description I heard when I joined was that the army was a toned but unflexed muscle ready to respond to anything. Right now, we're persistently flexed and have had every bit of cushioning fat, and more than a good bit of muscle itself chipped away now. Right now, we couldn't retake the Falklands if somehow the Argentinians captured it again, we can barely put together a fighting division of soldiers with less than 24 months of notice and the cuts just keep coming.

You have to advertise the army to the youth of today who aren't blindly patriotic like those in the 1910s or 1930/40s. You have to show that there's an army career there for virtually anyone who can get through basic training, from those who want to throw themselves from perfectly good planes (my lifetime goal is to make takeoffs equal landings) to HR administrator, and everything inbetween. The former are almost self-recruiting, the latter just aren't there and need every bit of recruitment help they can get.
        Thanks for your service.

I'm the first one in my family not to serve, I went to university instead and I'm not officer material.

God Bless the men and women that risk their lives to protect others.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          My brother agrees they are. ex-1para. And still some debate in the family if he turned down the SAS and took the NATO role or joined the SAS and lied to us.
          If he gets an MBE you know he’s not NATO.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
            Don't forget right to buy, I grew up on a council estate and the MIL still lives there on a recent visit I spoke to an old acquaintance who made his money in a non-legal fashion. He owns 5 houses that he now rents out, I asked him how the heck he managed to afford it and was shocked when he told me. He and his extended family bought their houses using right to buy and had huge discounts off the price we're talking around 40% of what they were valued years ago as well Who said crime doesn't pay
            Yeah a close family friend bought their council house for 70% discount! The longer you have been a tenant the bigger the discount.

When this happens in London, you pickup a 2 bed flat for 75k then flip it three years later for 400k.

Anybody can get on the council list. Eventually you will get a place, especially if you have a pregnant girlfriend and you tell them (the truth) you, for example, have been living with your friends, but once baby arrives it is going to be too cramped.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonymustwearbriefs View Post
              That problem is in very few places in the UK.
              oh so why are the prices going up everywhere?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Army trying to appeal to snowflakes

well the housing is because their government (post millennium government) has overseen massive low level immigration while not building any houses. When I bought a house first time I had a choice of about 5 that were reasonable. My mates had a chance of getting a council house.

Now I am at the other end there are a few on the market at the top end. The ones at the bottom you need to earn £100k. To get a council house you need to be an orphan with 20 disabled kids.

“Their” government, post-millennium? Are you maths-challenged?

Which government do you think a 10-year old in 2005 is voting in, cretin?
                Last edited by meridian; 10 January 2018, 23:01.

Comment

Times headline today "Army defends appeal to gays and Muslims". Well, that'll work well...
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Times headline today "Army defends appeal to gays and Muslims". Well, that'll work well...
                    At university a friend was turned down for being a Christian. Though that was 1983.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      At university a friend was turned down for being a Christian. Though that was 1983.
                      Whereas I remember my mate in 1989 being jailed overnight for saying he was an atheist to the CO before a Sunday church parade we had during an adventure training fortnight away. Being a committed Christian in the army was not at all harmful to your career and actually opened at least as many doors as the right type of squared away handshake could do.

Comment

Working...
                      X