• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Indoor exercise bike, racer or upright?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
    You clearly dont need any practice being a saddo nobber. It comes sooo naturally to you.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

You clearly dont need any practice being a saddo nobber. It comes sooo naturally to you.
      If you have a normal road bike, why not consider somethinhg like this : bkool trainer

You can then sign up to an online cycling simulation like Bkool (or Zwift + others) and ride online with others. These software run on laptops, tablets and even phones. With the likes of Bkool you can join leagues to race others, or just ride some of the stages in say the Tour de France, the Giro or La Vuelta.

The trainer controls resistance, so a climb on the software feels like a climb on the trainer.

I love mine, had it over 2 years now, and my fitness has improved massively.

What you will need:

A bike
      A trainer
      Laptop/tablet/phone
      Ant+ stick (if not using bluetooth)
      A fan!
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Now Ive retired, I can think even more about my fitness. Love running even this time of year but there's no doubt, running when it is pissing down, cold and blowing a hoolie just results in chills and colds stopping you running for 7 to 10 days.

I got some weights at Christmas to work on (deteriorating!?) upper body strength and want an exercise bike to supplement my running. I was considering the 'racing' style indoor bikes, belt driven for quietness and with an 18 - 20kg flywheel.

Not sure my back would like the crouched over position though so also looking at the upright bike range. As the name suggests you sit a bit more upright so hopefully, less strain on the back.

Typically these has a smaller mass flywheel around the 8 - 10 kg range but with magnetic resistance settings will make the effort needed equally taxing.

So, anyone recommendations, pros and cons of the upright v racer studio bike? Budget is around 300 sods (I know but having just retired, want to watch my budget!)?

Love and kisses, retired washed up.
        Join a gym and go to their exercise classes - you can then stare at the bottoms of the gender of person you fancy if you place yourself strategically in their various spin classes to help motivate and push yourself further. They also have classes where you use weights, body resistance or both to improve upper body resistance. In between the classes a decent gym has Watt bikes you can use. Then once summer comes go out on your bike and run but continue doing some of the weights/body resistance classes.

Alternatively join a cycling or tri club, and there will be a coach who will tell you what you need to do.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Join a gym and go to their exercise classes - you can then stare at the bottoms of the gender of person you fancy if you place yourself strategically in their various spin classes to help motivate and push yourself further. They also have classes where you use weights, body resistance or both to improve upper body resistance. In between the classes a decent gym has Watt bikes you can use. Then once summer comes go out on your bike and run but continue doing some of the weights/body resistance classes.

Alternatively join a cycling or tri club, and there will be a coach who will tell you what you need to do.
          You really are obsessed with watching bottoms in lycra.

Comment

You really are obsessed with watching bottoms in lycra
            Went to an exercise class once, made sure I was at the back. Then along came the instructor and we all had to turn facing the other way! Bah!
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              If you have a normal road bike, why not consider somethinhg like this : bkool trainer

You can then sign up to an online cycling simulation like Bkool (or Zwift + others) and ride online with others. These software run on laptops, tablets and even phones. With the likes of Bkool you can join leagues to race others, or just ride some of the stages in say the Tour de France, the Giro or La Vuelta.

The trainer controls resistance, so a climb on the software feels like a climb on the trainer.

I love mine, had it over 2 years now, and my fitness has improved massively.

What you will need:

A bike
              A trainer
              Laptop/tablet/phone
              Ant+ stick (if not using bluetooth)
              A fan!
              Second this if you already have a bike and want a way to ride indoors in the winter.

Lots of options for trainers around from £200-300 to well over £1000. Zwift is the most popular interactive training software as it's not tied to a particular brand of trainer or operating system. You can get started for cheap by getting the new model Apple TV for £150, as Zwift have just released their software to run on it. All you need then is a TV and some space.

If you don't have a bike I'd seriously consider getting one and using a smart trainer rather than a static bike. Even the good ones are not as good as a real bike and will cost you a lot more. Comfort is something that can be tweaked either yourself through trial and error or by getting a bike fit done by a professional.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Went to an exercise class once, made sure I was at the back. Then along came the instructor and we all had to turn facing the other way! Bah!
                If you are new the trick is to put yourself in the middle as it a common trick instructors do on newbies.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  You really are obsessed with watching bottoms in lycra.
                  Nah it is just one of the least offensive ways to block out pain when you are exercising.

Singing works as well but not in a class of 20-30 other people unless you can sing like Aretha Franklin*

*Other singers are available but most people don't find Aretha Franklin's voice annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Nah it is just one of the least offensive ways to block out pain when you are exercising.

Singing works as well but not in a class of 20-30 other people unless you can sing like Aretha Franklin*

*Other singers are available but most people don't find Aretha Franklin's voice annoying.
                    i enjoy watch the lady BV's sashaying to the music when i'm sitting in the engine room

Comment

Working...
                    X