• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What right do I have as a contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crapshoot

Originally posted by mattfx View Post

Good luck - it's a crapshoot out there at the moment. Everyone is expecting things to pick up in Jan though.

had lunch my xmas lunch with my Agent yesterday (Oysters/steak and Champagne) any PM or BA he advertises gets 200 replies within an hour, he is seeing dozens of good people out of work since May because of Brexit and outsourcing.

On the otherhand he says if you are a good Java Programmer you can fill your boots at the moment on top rates

Comment

I would make sure you do your handover with a smile and look for another contract. Make it as easy as possible for them when you leave, do proper handover documentation etc.

I've always viewed it as one of the main benefits to a company is how easy it is to get rid of a contractor.

I've had plenty of repeat business from one company that had a difficult period and couldn't afford me and are now doing well.

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
        had lunch my xmas lunch with my Agent yesterday (Oysters/steak and Champagne) any PM or BA he advertises gets 200 replies within an hour, he is seeing dozens of good people out of work since May because of Brexit and outsourcing.

On the otherhand he says if you are a good Java Programmer you can fill your boots at the moment on top rates
        I'm on the infrastructure side of things (Wintel/VMware on prem stack) and every agent is saying the same thing - not hundreds but many, many applications even for roles outside of the city in a short space of time, at rates they're not really all that happy with. Unfortunately it seems that many of us infrastructure monkeys have started accepting lower and lower rates which is driving the market down in terms of what you can expect and the quality of work delivered...

That said, just found out a company I did some work for as a consultant many years ago are looking for an infra contractor Hopefully this will put me ahead of the rest of the market in terms of my application!

Comment

Was going to ask if the working practices have deemed that the OP is inside IR35 but I had imagined in the case that the contract was about to start however with over a month's notice until the end of the current contract... It's a no from me.

Comment

Hi guys,

I have sucked it up, so to speak and moved on. This post is not about "poor old me ..." I have been a contractor for 10 years.

The point is that I did agree to the contract extension in writing. Notice period does not come into this, I am working up the end of my contract which ends next week. I have looked into the contract law aspect and I have to admit it is very vague in this area. There must be something around getting a formal agreement and reneging on it. This company is a global billion pound org. The key point is that we "contractors" deserve respect. I turned down a couple of opportunitie between 22nd Oct and end of Nov when they changed their mind. I had agreed a transition plan with my manager which took us to April next year. The fact I had to do a handover in 5 weeks left me limited time to look for new work. These are the key points. At the end of the day, managers cannot get away with this type of behaviour regardless if you are a contractor or not.

Regards.

Stuart.

Comment

Originally posted by wosikas View Post
              Hi guys,

on the 21st October I was offered a contract extension via email ()and phone) by my manager and a senior manging in purchasing for the company I work at. One month later i was told that my contract would not be renewed when the contract ends this year. This of course has put me in a difficut position. Do I have any legal righjts in this situation. Can I ask them to to fulfil the contract or ask for monies lost due to impact in finding a job. Any help on this would be very much appreciated.

Regards.

Stuart.
              Where is NLUK when you need him?

Looks like I'll have to do his job for him. You're a contractor. You have no rights, at least not in the sense you're talking about.

Your contract extension was pulled, these things happen. Even if it went ahead, you'll probably find the contract allows your client to terminate that same contract with little or no notice at any time. With regard to claiming for "lost monies". No. You work, you get paid. No work, no pay.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback

OK guys,

thanks for your input - very much appreciated. I will close this conversation down now.

Regards.

Stuart.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                  Where is NLUK when you need him?
                  With his accountant.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                    None what-so-ever unless you are pregnant by the manager or the sen Manager
                    I think we had a post about this situation a few months ago?.....

Comment

Stuart needs to get a better understanding of what he is and does me thinks.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X