• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Making money with alt coins

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making money with alt coins

Thought I'd post a separate thread.

Here's the bit I don't get about making big money on alt coins.

Say you do your research on an alt coin. Let's call it tulip coin.

You want to turn £1000 into £10,000 or even £100,000

So you need to buy some tulip coin.

You can't buy tulip coin with ££££, but you can exchange BTC to tulip coin.

So you buy BTC with ££££ and go to an exchange and buy tulip coin with the BTC.

You then sit back and wait. Weeks or maybe even months.

But then one day, you wake up and your tulip coin has gone up 100X.

Happy days, you have a paper £100,000 in tulip coin

But you don't want tulip coin, you want a 911 Turbo. In black.

But Porsche don't accept tulip coin. Or even BTC.

And you can't sell tulip coin to £££, you have to convert it to BTC, and then sell the BTC to ££££.

Trouble is, BTC has gone up 100X over the same period.

So your tulip coin is worth the same amount of BTC as it was when you started it.

So your back with £1000. And no Porsche. Not even a yellow Porsche.

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Damn it he's cracked the code.

The Ponzi scheme is over.

Quick

Everyone

get out get out!!

Comment

Actually, thinking about, you have still made 100X and can have the Porsche, but only because both tulip coin and BTC have gone up 100X. You end up with the same amount of BTC as you started with, but the BTC is worth 100X what you originally paid.

In which case you might as well just buy BTC and hold that and hope. Unless you think the tulip coin is going to beat BTC, which seems pretty unlikely?

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
        Here's the bit I don't get about making big money on alt coins.

Say you do your research on an alt coin. Let's call it tulip coin.

You want to turn £1000 into £10,000 or even £100,000

So you need to buy some tulip coin.
        You wanna make big money? You don't buy, you create....

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
          Actually, thinking about, you have still made 100X and can have the Porsche, but only because both tulip coin and BTC have gone up 100X. You end up with the same amount of BTC as you started with, but the BTC is worth 100X what you originally paid.

In which case you might as well just buy BTC and hold that and hope. Unless you think the tulip coin is going to beat BTC, which seems pretty unlikely?

Plenty of alt have grown quicker than bitcoin. Buying and holding BTC is probably the "safest" option, bit you can potentially make more on alt.

I bought dash last week and converted back to BTC today. I now have about 40% more bitcoin.

Look at the charts on coinmarketcap.com. short term rises in alt beet bitcoin all the time. ADA doubled in price overnight a couple days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
            Plenty of alt have grown quicker than bitcoin. Buying and holding BTC is probably the "safest" option, bit you can potentially make more on alt.

I bought dash last week and converted back to BTC today. I now have about 40% more bitcoin.

Look at the charts on coinmarketcap.com. short term rises in alt beet bitcoin all the time. ADA doubled in price overnight a couple days ago.
            Thank you, that's inneresting.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
              Plenty of alt have grown quicker than bitcoin. .
              Indeed they do. My big break was Stellar exploding in May. Bought at 0.0036 sats and 4 week later 0.065 sats - £8k became £144k - I was quaking it.

As others have pointed out, the challenge is keeping it.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Indeed they do. My big break was Stellar exploding in May. Bought at 0.0036 sats and 4 week later 0.065 sats - £8k became £144k - I was quaking it.

As others have pointed out, the challenge is keeping it.
                Nearly all also exploded around that time. Wish I was in on it then, I only started looking after then. I got into it cos a guy I was working with told me how he bought eth when it was like $3 or something...

I'm waiting to hit that jackpot. Hopefully zen will do it.

Comment

Remember buying Dash at £22 and freaking out when it hit £42

Emotion is so so powerful, trying to remain technical is a challenge and them some.

Trying to hold US $ right now is painful watching it rally back up..
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                  X