• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Billable Days Target for 2017 Jan - Dec

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    I've put my rate up consistently over the last 9 years (it's now over double where I started) but I feel like I'm reaching a bit of a cutoff for regular development work. I need to start looking for other income streams.
    Why? Do you enjoy what you're doing? I'm a fair bit older than you - I like dev work. I've given project management a go, and I could probably do an adequate job of it, but it's not what I enjoy. I know I could command significantly more if I got into it, and/or worked in London, but I do well enough in my provincial WFH gig, and would rather be happy and comfortable than rich and miserable.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
      Another vote for 227 looks likely. Even though the year will be cut short on the 13th December. Up from 158.5 last time round, though that did include a nice summer off.
      Erm.... just been sounded out on doing another week...

Comment

I've had around 3 months off this year.

The contract I'm in now has provided a cushion due to a very healthy rate rise

Also its all in absolute chaos.

Just how I like it
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

Just how I like it
          Oh, how very unfortunate....

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

Just how I like it
            Pah, 6 months off here

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
              Oh, how very unfortunate....

Very

Chickens coming home to roost.

An approach that I suggested 6 months ago had a hells chance of working and argued until I was blue in the face (you should have heard the language) has been forced in, in my absence .

Shame the fecker performs like a sticky turd and cannot join to the required database dimensions without losing all the records.
              Oh, I should add it takes around 4 hours to run even with a couple of dimensions that you can join to.

Not too bad for some ETL jobs but not a feckin' report

The DB Architect who has just seen this total abortion suggests it won't aggregate (add up correctly) either, even if you can solve the joining issues.
              Something else I pointed out 6 months ago.

Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 16 November 2017, 16:05.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Why? Do you enjoy what you're doing? I'm a fair bit older than you - I like dev work. I've given project management a go, and I could probably do an adequate job of it, but it's not what I enjoy. I know I could command significantly more if I got into it, and/or worked in London, but I do well enough in my provincial WFH gig, and would rather be happy and comfortable than rich and miserable.
                I'm relatively happy what I'm doing but that doesn't mean I don't want to earn more. By other income streams, I mean more passive income streams or developing my own products/apps/services, not a complete change in what I do.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                  Well, I suppose there's no risk of you lying on your death bed wishing you'd worked more days.
                  Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    It's great that so many of those punched card looms are still operating.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      It's great that so many of those punched card looms are still operating.
                      Sexist!
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X