• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Choosing A Charity Conumdrum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Oh I know how chuggers work. I have a friend who looked into it when he was jobless a few years ago. He was pissed of with what a scam it was as before he was jobless he had set up a direct debit to give to a charity.

Smaller local charities tend not to bombast you with expensive junk mail after you have donated to them so you have to threaten to complain to the Information Commissioner to get them to stop filling your recycling bin. They just say "Thank you" and leave you alone.

Then there are the JustGiving pages. BT Donate doesn't take money from your donation unlike certain other companies.
    My opinion on just giving is that they are one of 2 companies I have turned down contracts with - before the interview stage.

Personally given the cash I would be doing everything I can to point people to the corporate sponsored equivalents either bt or virgin both of whom don’t deduct anything beyond actual costs.

Mind you a 5% deduction will be taking the absolute mickey when the new credit card maximum charges come in in January. Even my local taxi company will be moving to a few free system.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Agree with others that homeless charities aren't cuddly but very worthy.
      Alternatively a local hospice is a good choice IMHO, taking care of people who can't afford it as they pass is truly incredible work.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Normally one of homeless/hospice/animals for me.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Do stuff for charity. Don't tell everyone else about it.
          Exactly. "when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth"

And donating to kids' charities is the first thing everyone thinks of. They probably have more money pouring in than they know what to do with.

So why not consider something more unusual? For example, I bet your local church needs a hundred grand spending on its leaking roof!
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

With one caveat. If you are getting sponsorship, then it is a very good idea.

I am still grateful to the 29 CUKkers who sponsored me in 2012.

Comment

When JustGiving was first set up it was great - there wasn't an easy way to sponsor people/collect money, and the ability to pay by card or from overseas.
              It may do well in making money, but at the time it served its purpose.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                With one caveat. If you are getting sponsorship, then it is a very good idea.

I am still grateful to the 29 CUKkers who sponsored me in 2012.
                was it 5 years ago - how time flys
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Well doen OP contractors daily rates of £600 need to be funded

Comment

Or vice versa.

Comment

How about a charity for bullied homeless children with cancer?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X