• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Property vs pension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Agree. BTL is dead.

Not specifically because of Brexit or government policy. But more the realisation the housing market is overinflated and a correction is likely. As such potential yield is now at a minimum. Plus there's the risk your BTL mortgage might be worth more than the asset in the coming years. Sod that.

There's far less risker investments out there. I'm not going to say it.
    Population growth remains as does housing pressure... companies are scrambling over themselves to build more houses fast enough. We've been talking about a correction in house prices at least 10 years and even factoring in the peak of ~2005 it hasn't really happened.

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    I probably ought to start throwing some money in an ISA but I can't afford to put away a massive amount out of my disposable income unless I withdraw funds from the company and pay higher rate tax - maybe £200 a month at most. The advantage of the SIPP is I can contribute directly from the company of course. I could probably safely contribute £1000 a month, maybe up to £1500/month in a good year.
    I'm trying to recall if the IFA running the sums with me for ISA VS pension was factoring in higher rate tax or not. IIRC you're paying CT regardless so the difference is in the ISA you pay the 'top up' to HR tax, but the pension you pay tax on your income later.
    He definitely suggested it wasn't a huge difference but again I cannot recall the exact earnings scenario it was based on.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Exactly what I've been banging on about in the crypto thread. Don't you read?

We're in the grip of a massive bull market. It has a good 12-18 months in it. It'll become clearer which remain by the end, bitcoin for sure and a few others I'm keeping close to my chest.

I'm more shocked how so many tech savvy chaps like yourselves seem totally eclipsed by blockchain technology.
      I've seen your posts in the crypto thread. It would be great to buy a bunch of crypto currency and pay off my mortgage in a couple of weeks. Problem is that is exactly what everyone said in the early 2000s. It's free money, how can this website possibly fail etc....

Despite what you think there's no guarantee crypto currencies will be around in a year, month, week even a day. They're not backed by anything (which I get is part of the attraction). Don't get me wrong, I've got a chunk of change sitting depreciating in a bank account and I'd love to get a 100%+ return on my investment, but as much as I'd like that, I'd hate to lose it more.

Honestly, if you're as well off as you're making out, I don't understand why you don't cash out and live the billionaire lifestyle, rather than posting on here and visiting rubbish hotels when you come to the UK.
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Property versus pension?

Why not property AND pension or property AND ISA? Even better, no risk of rental voids or idiot tenants wrecking the place.

Here is a (fairly) undiscovered gem for you to pop into your SIPP or ISA, then forget about it and let the income roll up tax free for the next 30 years. Sounds good? Take a look at buying a stake in a >GBP 300 million property portfolio. Look specifically at Regional REIT. Pays >8% a year dividend, tax free in an ISA or SIPP. Even better, the shares are available at a small discount to net asset value. Pop a nice slice of Regional REIT in your pension, then thank me in 30 years time
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Population growth remains as does housing pressure... companies are scrambling over themselves to build more houses fast enough. We've been talking about a correction in house prices at least 10 years and even factoring in the peak of ~2005 it hasn't really happened..
          Every country has seen population growth, Germany 1m+ and is coping.

Truth be told UK government is building far less houses than ever before. If companies were scrambling over themselves these statistics would look a lot different.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
            I've seen your posts in the crypto thread. It would be great to buy a bunch of crypto currency and pay off my mortgage in a couple of weeks. Problem is that is exactly what everyone said in the early 2000s. It's free money, how can this website possibly fail etc....

Despite what you think there's no guarantee crypto currencies will be around in a year, month, week even a day. They're not backed by anything (which I get is part of the attraction). Don't get me wrong, I've got a chunk of change sitting depreciating in a bank account and I'd love to get a 100%+ return on my investment, but as much as I'd like that, I'd hate to lose it more.

Honestly, if you're as well off as you're making out, I don't understand why you don't cash out and live the billionaire lifestyle, rather than posting on here and visiting rubbish hotels when you come to the UK.
            Well off? That made me laugh. How well off do you imagine I am?

I'm not advocating all crypto will be around in years to come. What I am saying is we're in the grip of a fully fledged bull market that's going to rocket even further in 2018. I'm advocating you benefit from that and get out before the bubble comes.

Stake only what you can afford to loose. You're probably loosing more just holding it in the bank account against inflation with each passing day. Get smart, not Drei grumpy.

I've told you, Zencash, will explode in the coming 12 months. A good 6-12 months before the bubble bursts.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Wherever you invest for the long term the government will find a way to take at least some of it from you if they need it.

There's no guarantee you'll be around to take advantage of the long term investment either.

So edge your bets by spreading long term investments across several classes and do the same with your money overall, investing in your life and that of your family's now. Whether that be a nice home, vehicles, hobbies, adventures, ...

Some of the best things for your mental and general health are relatively cheap to access so don't cost a lot of investment either.

Plan for the future but don't forget to enjoy the now.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

exactly - never forget - happiness is a choice.

Comment

I guess it's just me but I find the idea of owning houses for profit slightly immoral. Yes, fine for business/student rents but generally making a few quid where really the tenants would rather own the house than pay you but have no choice. I've looked into BTLs and for the sake for a few grand a year (where I can invoice this in less than a week) hardly seems worth the ball ache.

Comment

Originally posted by SeededLoaf View Post
                    I guess it's just me but I find the idea of owning houses for profit slightly immoral. Yes, fine for business/student rents but generally making a few quid where really the tenants would rather own the house than pay you but have no choice. I've looked into BTLs and for the sake for a few grand a year (where I can invoice this in less than a week) hardly seems worth the ball ache.
                    why you are providing somebody with a home

it's a service to the public you should be commended not feel guilty

Milan.

Comment

Stake only what you can afford to loose. You're probably loosing more just holding it in the bank account against inflation with each passing day. Get smart, not Drei grumpy.
                      Exactly this. If you've got disposable cash, I think you're a fool not to put some into cryptocurrency. Don't put all your life savings in it. Don't put all your disposable income into it. Just what your comfortable with. I bought £100 worth at first and payed around one the exchanges just to get a feel for things.

I've just bought another day rates worth, bringing my total buy in to day rate * 2.2. I could afford to more than this, but this amount doesn't make me squirm. There's a very real chance that some of the coins I've invested in could increase by a huge amount. I've had some losses, some gains, but I'm up about 20% so far and the "losses" could still turn into "wins".

I've told you, Zencash, will explode in the coming 12 months. A good 6-12 months before the bubble bursts.
                      No offence to scooter, but don't take his advice blindly. Make sure you look into what your buying . I've bought some zencash on scooters tip, but only after looking into it myself first.

Comment

Working...
                      X