• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MPC decision on interest rates tomorrow (General sub-thread)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MPC decision on interest rates tomorrow (General sub-thread)

Inside the mind of the Bank of England: how it sets rates - BBC News

What does the congregation think will happen and what will the impact be?

You-know-what related posts may not be included in this thread.

0.25% rise

Comment

I'm going to put my neck on the line. No rise. growth is too weak.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Tough call, but I suspect they will, for largely the wrong reason: credibility. They’ve telegraphed it very clearly and market expectations are around 90%. It’ll be one and done though, and that’s the commentary that most will be looking for. If they don’t, Sterling will tank, as it put on 2-3c USD when they first telegraphed their expectation. That’s another (better) reason that they’ll go ahead. There’s also some evidence of wage pressure starting to build, which is of greater concern to them than depreciation, as that’s largely pass-through.

Comment

Massive 100% rise, all the way up to 0.5%, and they still worry the economy can't cope.

The zombie economy. Shame it wasn't due yesterday for Halloween.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            I very much agree. The UK economy is a one trick pony fueled by cheap money.

Comment

No rise until there is actually growth in the economy.

They need to wait until after the budget as well.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

0.25% rise.
                BofE caught between a rock and a hard place.
                They've got to balance the large fall in consumer spending in the latest figures with the large growth in debt and the tanking of the pound.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  Tough call, but I suspect they will, for largely the wrong reason: credibility. They’ve telegraphed it very clearly and market expectations are around 90%. It’ll be one and done though, and that’s the commentary that most will be looking for. If they don’t, Sterling will tank, as it put on 2-3c USD when they first telegraphed their expectation. That’s another (better) reason that they’ll go ahead. There’s also some evidence of wage pressure starting to build, which is of greater concern to them than depreciation, as that’s largely pass-through.
                  WJBS.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

The general feeling is that we will see a 0.25% increase. Over the last couple of weeks, most banks have increased their mortgage rates slightly although they still remain at a historical low. It is difficult to predict however as this maybe due to lenders hitting their targets for the year. As such rates may well have gone up so that banks do not have surplus of cases over the Christmas period when they operate with scaled back staff levels.

Comment

Working...
                    X