• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DXC (formerly HPE) enforce extended Xmas Furlough

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by oziwalkabout View Post
    "We have been advised that DXC is has a limited suspension of service delivery (furlough) for all UK&I based Agency Contractors will be subject to this year’s Christmas shutdown. This will run from 18th December 2017 - 5th January 2018 inclusive. (Equates to 11 working days for Scotland, 12 for rest of UK&I, ie. not including weekends and bank/national holidays). They have also advised that any timesheets submitted for these Shutdown dates will not be approved."
    Disgruntled.

You also miss the point that their employees have no say or negotiation powers. For the past 4 years they have had to suffer furloughs at very short notice and without any consultation or grounds for redress - and longer periods....thus the draconian label stands.
    Doesn't mention anything about employees, just contractors.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    If you can't afford to take more than 20 days leave as a contractor you really need to look at your daily rate.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Well I can only say that I wish was in a fortunate situation such as those who may have the luxury of taking more than 20 working days per year. But if you do the maths you're effectively left with only 8 days between January to December 2018. I certainly plan my leave well in advance to capitalise on cheaper fares and also have family commitments like most people. There is no 'twisting' of words just 'screwing' with people's lives.

You also miss the point that their employees have no say or negotiation powers. For the past 4 years they have had to suffer furloughs at very short notice and without any consultation or grounds for redress - and longer periods....thus the draconian label stands.
    If you can't afford to take more than 20 days leave as a contractor you really need to look at your expenditure.....

Leave a comment:

• oziwalkabout
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    While you may be annoyed at losing billable days, they have not said that you cannot take time off at other times of the year. Your pre-booked holidays, hospital appointments or personal commitments are not being cancelled. Don't twist it to say that.
    Well I can only say that I wish was in a fortunate situation such as those who may have the luxury of taking more than 20 working days per year. But if you do the maths you're effectively left with only 8 days between January to December 2018. I certainly plan my leave well in advance to capitalise on cheaper fares and also have family commitments like most people. There is no 'twisting' of words just 'screwing' with people's lives.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Don’t like it? Walk.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    You could always argue its a change in contract terms and find something else... In reality though you can now show that there is no mutual obligation within the contract so you are outside IR35...

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Draconian and desperate measures by one of the most inhumane companies on this planet. Effectively the bulk sum of annual leave is being enforced on contractors and employees who would generally be inclined to spread their holidays with family during the summer months. For those that had pre-booked holidays, hospital appointments or personal commitments....too bad by the looks.
    How can we let this happen in this country and how far will it go???
    The blurb:
    "We have been advised that DXC is has a limited suspension of service delivery (furlough) for all UK&I based Agency Contractors will be subject to this year’s Christmas shutdown. This will run from 18th December 2017 - 5th January 2018 inclusive. (Equates to 11 working days for Scotland, 12 for rest of UK&I, ie. not including weekends and bank/national holidays). They have also advised that any timesheets submitted for these Shutdown dates will not be approved."
    Disgruntled.
    While you may be annoyed at losing billable days, they have not said that you cannot take time off at other times of the year. Your pre-booked holidays, hospital appointments or personal commitments are not being cancelled. Don't twist it to say that.

Leave a comment:

• oziwalkabout
    started a topic DXC (formerly HPE) enforce extended Xmas Furlough

DXC (formerly HPE) enforce extended Xmas Furlough

Draconian and desperate measures by one of the most inhumane companies on this planet. Effectively the bulk sum of annual leave is being enforced on contractors and employees who would generally be inclined to spread their holidays with family during the summer months. For those that had pre-booked holidays, hospital appointments or personal commitments....too bad by the looks.
    How can we let this happen in this country and how far will it go???
    The blurb:
    Disgruntled.

Working...
X