• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DXC (formerly HPE) enforce extended Xmas Furlough

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Problem with DXC is their rates are shockingly low to start with. Booting the contractors out for three week is yet another kick in the balls.
    It’s not really 3 weeks though. It’s 11 days that aren’t public holidays.
    And not much would happen in that period so they’re not going to want to pay people to do nowt (well no more than usual anyway). Most of their customers have a change freeze over those weeks as well.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Problem with DXC is their rates are shockingly low to start with. Booting the contractors out for three week is yet another kick in the balls.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I already booked off those days and a few more.

They can furlough all they like.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    This is news?

HPE did it every year I was there.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by oziwalkabout View Post
    Well I can only say that I wish was in a fortunate situation such as those who may have the luxury of taking more than 20 working days per year. But if you do the maths you're effectively left with only 8 days between January to December 2018. I certainly plan my leave well in advance to capitalise on cheaper fares and also have family commitments like most people. There is no 'twisting' of words just 'screwing' with people's lives.

You also miss the point that their employees have no say or negotiation powers. For the past 4 years they have had to suffer furloughs at very short notice and without any consultation or grounds for redress - and longer periods....thus the draconian label stands.
    Wait until your contract gets canned after a month of the new year and you realise you don’t have an annual holiday allocation as a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    I look forward to the furlough every year.
    +1

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    I look forward to the furlough every year.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    You could always argue its a change in contract terms and find something else... In reality though you can now show that there is no mutual obligation within the contract so you are outside IR35...
    WHS

Contractor furloughs are the closest you can get to a silver bullet against IR35 - a case was won several years back and this was a factor.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Doesn't mention anything about employees, just contractors.
    And who cares what they do with their employees?

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Give them notice that you will be increasing your rate.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X