oh dear: ‘opinion, rather than a constitutional fact’
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 26
  1. #1
    AtW
    AtW is offline

    Banned

    AtW is a fount of knowledge

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    46,975
    Thanks (Given)
    1260
    Thanks (Received)
    661
    Likes (Given)
    6843
    Likes (Received)
    2350

    Default oh dear: ‘opinion, rather than a constitutional fact’

    MPs should not feel obliged to back Brexit, says John Bercow

    Commons Speaker says it is ‘opinion, rather than a constitutional fact’ that MPs must vote through Brexit because of referendum result

    The Commons Speaker, John Bercow, has said MPs have the right to attempt to block Brexit using the parliamentary process, rather than feeling obliged to vote in line with the referendum result.

    In a wide-ranging Q&A, Bercow also referred to the Daily Mail as “the Daily Fail” for its criticism of parliament’s new £7m education centre, though he himself has often been the target of the newspaper’s attacks.

    Bercow was the target of a short-lived plot by Conservative MPs to oust him from the role, which he has held since 2009, with several alleging he had failed to be impartial having declared he voted remain in the EU referendum, among other accusations.

    Speaking to the Hansard Society, Bercow said it was an “opinion, rather than a constitutional fact” that MPs were obliged to vote through Brexit because of the referendum result.

    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ys-john-bercow

    Brexit nightmare is over???

  2. #2

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    8,390
    Thanks (Given)
    1158
    Thanks (Received)
    635
    Likes (Given)
    424
    Likes (Received)
    2369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    MPs should not feel obliged to back Brexit, says John Bercow

    Commons Speaker says it is ‘opinion, rather than a constitutional fact’ that MPs must vote through Brexit because of referendum result

    The Commons Speaker, John Bercow, has said MPs have the right to attempt to block Brexit using the parliamentary process, rather than feeling obliged to vote in line with the referendum result.

    In a wide-ranging Q&A, Bercow also referred to the Daily Mail as “the Daily Fail” for its criticism of parliament’s new £7m education centre, though he himself has often been the target of the newspaper’s attacks.

    Bercow was the target of a short-lived plot by Conservative MPs to oust him from the role, which he has held since 2009, with several alleging he had failed to be impartial having declared he voted remain in the EU referendum, among other accusations.

    Speaking to the Hansard Society, Bercow said it was an “opinion, rather than a constitutional fact” that MPs were obliged to vote through Brexit because of the referendum result.

    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ys-john-bercow

    Brexit nightmare is over???
    MPs' duty is to represent the interest of the nation and their constituents, isn't it?
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  3. #3

    Godlike

    Mordac - scorchio!

    Mordac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Civilisation-ish
    Posts
    5,992
    Thanks (Given)
    88
    Thanks (Received)
    336
    Likes (Given)
    688
    Likes (Received)
    1260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    MPs should not feel obliged to back Brexit, says John Bercow

    Commons Speaker says it is ‘opinion, rather than a constitutional fact’ that MPs must vote through Brexit because of referendum result

    The Commons Speaker, John Bercow, has said MPs have the right to attempt to block Brexit using the parliamentary process, rather than feeling obliged to vote in line with the referendum result.

    In a wide-ranging Q&A, Bercow also referred to the Daily Mail as “the Daily Fail” for its criticism of parliament’s new £7m education centre, though he himself has often been the target of the newspaper’s attacks.

    Bercow was the target of a short-lived plot by Conservative MPs to oust him from the role, which he has held since 2009, with several alleging he had failed to be impartial having declared he voted remain in the EU referendum, among other accusations.

    Speaking to the Hansard Society, Bercow said it was an “opinion, rather than a constitutional fact” that MPs were obliged to vote through Brexit because of the referendum result.

    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ys-john-bercow

    Brexit nightmare is over???
    John Bercow had to look up "elbow" in a dictionary once. It said "see arse". Nuff said...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

  4. #4

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    28,256
    Thanks (Given)
    1460
    Thanks (Received)
    1181
    Likes (Given)
    4590
    Likes (Received)
    4289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladyuk View Post
    MPs' duty is to represent the interest of the nation and their constituents, isn't it?
    Which means they don't have to do what the majority of their constituents want if they don't think it is in those constituents best interest.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  5. #5

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    8,390
    Thanks (Given)
    1158
    Thanks (Received)
    635
    Likes (Given)
    424
    Likes (Received)
    2369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
    John Bercow had to look up "elbow" in a dictionary once. It said "see arse". Nuff said...
    Ad hominem. Typical cretin response.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  6. #6

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Lance is NOT a disguised employee

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    1,694
    Thanks (Given)
    18
    Thanks (Received)
    111
    Likes (Given)
    184
    Likes (Received)
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    Which means they don't have to do what the majority of their constituents want if they don't think it is in those constituents best interest.
    Not many of them are brave enough for that. Not yet anyway. Maybe in 2019.
    *fingers crossed*
    See You Next Tuesday

  7. #7

    Godlike

    jamesbrown - scorchio!

    jamesbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,389
    Thanks (Given)
    75
    Thanks (Received)
    396
    Likes (Given)
    583
    Likes (Received)
    1712

    Default

    Nothing he said is wrong; MPs are representatives, not delegates (see famous Burke quote).

    Also, nothing he said is likely.

  8. #8

    Godlike

    Mordac - scorchio!

    Mordac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Civilisation-ish
    Posts
    5,992
    Thanks (Given)
    88
    Thanks (Received)
    336
    Likes (Given)
    688
    Likes (Received)
    1260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    Which means they don't have to do what the majority of their constituents want if they don't think it is in those constituents best interest.
    That all depends on how much they value their constituents' endorsement. All it takes is a cross in another candidates box, and your best interest might just be begging to get on the next series of Celebrity Big Brother...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

  9. #9

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere is a fount of knowledge

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    17,571
    Thanks (Given)
    195
    Thanks (Received)
    819
    Likes (Given)
    1279
    Likes (Received)
    2752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Ad hominem. Typical cretin response.
    Still better than the usual "There'll be rioting on the streets if they do vote against it".
    --drunk on abuse of power--

  10. #10
    AtW
    AtW is offline

    Banned

    AtW is a fount of knowledge

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    46,975
    Thanks (Given)
    1260
    Thanks (Received)
    661
    Likes (Given)
    6843
    Likes (Received)
    2350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
    All it takes is a cross in another candidates box, and your best interest might just be begging to get on the next series of Celebrity Big Brother...
    In a safe seat?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.