• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time out

I am at that stage where I know I need to plan taking some time out. Starting a new gig next week which looks like a fixed term, so after that looks like a good time to take it.

Warchest is good, I can live for a few years, mortgage could be paid off if I wanted. So financially in a good place for a few months off.

However, I am worried about returning after taking time out - people don't tend to like a gap. I am also worried about not being able to resist looking. Those that take time out, how do you manage it? Those that don't, how do you keep sane?

Comment

The longest time out I had was only about 3 months and only half of that was by choice. I stay sane by not being sane in the first place. Much easier to manage.

I tend to just take lots of mini breaks when I'm feeling a bit worn out.

That said, my life is very simple and easy with zero sources of stress.

Comment

I've only rarely had potential clients ask about the numerous gaps in my CV. Let's face it, most of them barely read past the most recent gig anyway.

On those few occasions I have been asked, I throw in some vague stuff about learning new things and working on side projects, but make no secret of the fact that I just enjoy spending time not working, and don't regard making money as the be-all-and-end-all of my existence. The response is generally one of agreement tinged with envy, rather than pursed lips

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          I've only rarely had potential clients ask about the numerous gaps in my CV. Let's face it, most of them barely read past the most recent gig anyway.

On those few occasions I have been asked, I throw in some vague stuff about learning new things and working on side projects, but make no secret of the fact that I just enjoy spending time not working, and don't regard making money as the be-all-and-end-all of my existence. The response is generally one of agreement tinged with envy, rather than pursed lips
          End clients are OK with gaps, it's compliance that can be a headache. I took a couple of months out earlier in the year to do some work on the house & I was asked to provide some receipts to back up what I was saying when I was offered my current role.

Worth bearing in mind if you're planning a few months in the fleshpots of Thailand or such like....

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
            End clients are OK with gaps, it's compliance that can be a headache. I took a couple of months out earlier in the year to do some work on the house & I was asked to provide some receipts to back up what I was saying when I was offered my current role.

Worth bearing in mind if you're planning a few months in the fleshpots of Thailand or such like....
            I go to the family apartment in Catalunya quite a lot, so will be interesting to see how things over there pan out with regards to me taking time out there and compliance!

Comment

I usually say I've been learning new stuff, working on my own projects etc. Which is usually true.

Comment

Tell them that you've been in prison for tax evasion of IR35 and that as you have served the time you have a right under EU law (there will be one somewhere) to not be discriminated against.

You'll have no problem at all.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post

Plane tickets are evidence.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                    Tell them that you've been in prison for tax evasion of IR35 and that as you have served the time you have a right under EU law (there will be one somewhere) to not be discriminated against.

You'll have no problem at all.
                    Also tell them you're genderfluid, and don't want to be pigeonholed as either "Mr" or "Mrs" or any similar demeaning conventional titles, and you'll walk it - They daren't reject you, for fear of lawsuits
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X