• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Catch 22

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catch 22

I'm only about 5 chapters in and I've already lost track of all the characters. Does it just take a long time to introduce all the characters before the action begins?
    It also seems to be completely nonsensical.

I feel like I'm failing becuase it's such an iconic book - I had exactly the same problem with 100 Years of Solitude. These Booker/Pullitzer winner type books maybe full of beautiful prose but they don't half seem short of a decent yarn.

Perhaps I should stick to Mills & Boon.

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    It also seems to be completely nonsensical.
    Trump is president of the US. That is completely nonsensical.

Catch 22 is not nonsensical It is a simple story but it’s not one you can skim-read.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

There is no action as such. IIRC character development is confined to a few.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonlinear_narrative

HTH

Comment

IIRC I found it so unbearably tedious that I burned it.

Comment

Catch 22 goes along with Joyce's Ulysses eg books that I've tried more than once to read but give up after 100 pages or so.

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

I enjoyed it, although it switches from light to grim in the second half of the book.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                IIRC I found it so unbearably tedious that I burned it.
                Are you sure that wasn’t Fahrenheit 451?
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I also couldn't get into it. The audiobook is much easier to get on with.
                  And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

catch 22 was ok, i suppose.
                    ulysses i chucked
                    gormenghast i chucked.
                    but i'm more of a scifi person, anyway

Comment

Working...
                    X