• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ryanair need pilots + Monarch bust = No need to cancel Ryanair flights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    You already do.

My friend flies Airbus for BA. He told me that the only time they actually fly the plane is on the landings. The rest of the time it's on autopilot.
    I was told this by an air hostess I got chatting to the other day. They do take off and landing but the rest of the flight they just monitor the autopilot and are ready to take over if anything goes wrong.

*Edit* I think they also turn the fasten seatbelt signs on and off when there's turbulence and talk over the intercom telling us what the weather is like at the destination.
    Last edited by Jog On; 2 October 2017, 12:35.
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      The autopilot keeps the plane stable and steady. It doesn’t automatically change the direction of the flight or change altitude/speed.
      To make those changes, the FO will dial them in to the autopilot, then execute them when they reach the waypoint.
      The captain will then perform the landing.

Wrong. The pilots will have routes that they program the nission/nav Computer with pre-flight, which will then command the autopilot to execute the manoeuvres required. Even down to where to make the turn ref. a waypoint, i.e. pre WP, overfly, post WP. I know this because I've spent the last twenty years programming and testing them, flying pseudo routes for fecking hours on end. They dial sweet FA into the auto pilot as it linked to a mission/nav computer which will have the cockpit interface.
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
        Wrong. The pilots will have routes that they program the nission/nav Computer with pre-flight, which will then command the autopilot to execute the manoeuvres required. Even down to where to make the turn ref. a waypoint, i.e. pre WP, overfly, post WP. I know this because I've spent the last twenty years programming and testing them, flying pseudo routes for fecking hours on end. They dial sweet FA into the auto pilot as it linked to a mission/nav computer which will have the cockpit interface.
        The joys of a technical forum is that there will always be someone who has done it in anger so knows how much tulip the first "expert" is saying...

Consultant rule 1: be 1 page ahead of the customer
        Consultant rule 2: if there is likely to be someone who knows more than you in the meeting - keep quiet until you are sure of their level of knowledge....
        Last edited by eek; 2 October 2017, 12:33.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

What is the ban for showing up a mod?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            What is the ban for a mod for being found out?
            FTFY

Comment

I was just basing it on the design of a 747 simulator I was on.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                I was just basing it on the design of a 747 simulator I was on.
                Good try - keep digging

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                It's a great idea except Monarch only fly A320 and A321 planes and Ryanair exclusively use 737-800's. By the time all these Monarch pilots have got 737-800 type approval, the Ryanair pilots will be back at work.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                  I was told this by an air hostess I got chatting to the other day. They do take off and landing but the rest of the flight they just monitor the autopilot and are ready to take over if anything goes wrong.

*Edit* I think they also turn the fasten seatbelt signs on and off when there's turbulence and talk over the intercom telling us what the weather is like at the destination.
                  Try calling a flight attend an air hostess these days and see the response.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Try calling a flight attend an air hostess these days and see the response.
                    You mean cabin crew?
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                      What if you need to do a visual approach with an engine failure?

I’d rather my pilot have a thorough and ingrained single type knowledge thanks.
                      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                      X