• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top of the property market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    I once raffled a dog for £5 a ticket. Made £5000. Only problem was, the dog was dead.
    Did you deep fry it in batter?

Comment

Nah, not for me. I prefer this one, which at 1 Euro is cheaper too!

2017-09-20 Incredible chateau just half an hour from Sancerre's vineyards could be yours for just ONE EURO
      Last edited by OwlHoot; 20 September 2017, 08:20.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        You haven't figured out how auctions work, have you?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          You haven't figured out how auctions work, have you?
          I have, but I assumed that everyone else would think the place was unmanageably large and give it a miss.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            I have, but I assumed that everyone else would think the place was unmanageably large and give it a miss.
            Brexiteer magical thinking. Good show.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              Brexiteer magical thinking. Good show.
              Seriously, I believe the French equivalent of council tax is horrendous, and makes large properties and estates impossibly expensive for all except billionaires.

If so then maybe that was one reason the present owners have been forced to sell, and it may indeed put off a lot of potential buyers.
              Last edited by OwlHoot; 20 September 2017, 08:19.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Father raffles off £175,000 home in Acklam for £5 a ticket | Daily Mail Online

Seeing more of this kind of bollux.

Saw it last time too.

Time for the govt to slash interest rates, crank up the QE and gives Tory donating housebuilder landbanker billionaires more tax advantages me thinks....

May not end well for the seller:

Taken from the Evening Standard earlier this year:

£1.25m Blackheath home offered as prize in £5 raffle falls through after council complaint

A home worth £1.2million that was being raffled off for just £5 per ticket has been withdrawn after a council complained it could breach gambling rules.

Owner Renu Qadri was aiming to raise £3.75million through the online raffle for her home in leafy Blackheath.

The mum-of-five claimed she needed the money because her disability made it difficult to pay the mortgage.

Her five-bed house was fully furnished, including lead crystal chandeliers worth £12,000, leather sofas, kitchen appliances and bedroom furniture.

But an update on her website this week revealed the raffle would no longer take place after Greenwich council raised objections.

The site said: “Ticket holders, please be advised that unfortunately we have been contacted by the local council informing us we will no longer be able to continue with this draw at this time.

“Therefore we will be cancelling the raffle with immediate effect.

“PayPal will be conducting a mass refund for all those who purchased tickets.”

A spokesman for Greenwich Council said the listing may have breached Gambling Commision rules.

He said: “The Royal Borough welcomes the withdrawal of this raffle after our alerting the resident to possible contravention of the Gambling Act 2005.”

Comment

Nothing to do with the house being overpriced then. How is it valued at £175K if no one is interested?

Comment

Originally posted by SeededLoaf View Post
                    Nothing to do with the house being overpriced then. How is it valued at £175K if no one is interested?
                    Because it is - how dare you say its not...
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
                      May not end well for the seller:

Taken from the Evening Standard earlier this year:

£1.25m Blackheath home offered as prize in £5 raffle falls through after council complaint

A home worth £1.2million that was being raffled off for just £5 per ticket has been withdrawn after a council complained it could breach gambling rules.

Owner Renu Qadri was aiming to raise £3.75million through the online raffle for her home in leafy Blackheath.

The mum-of-five claimed she needed the money because her disability made it difficult to pay the mortgage.

Her five-bed house was fully furnished, including lead crystal chandeliers worth £12,000, leather sofas, kitchen appliances and bedroom furniture.

But an update on her website this week revealed the raffle would no longer take place after Greenwich council raised objections.

The site said: “Ticket holders, please be advised that unfortunately we have been contacted by the local council informing us we will no longer be able to continue with this draw at this time.

“Therefore we will be cancelling the raffle with immediate effect.

“PayPal will be conducting a mass refund for all those who purchased tickets.”

A spokesman for Greenwich Council said the listing may have breached Gambling Commision rules.

He said: “The Royal Borough welcomes the withdrawal of this raffle after our alerting the resident to possible contravention of the Gambling Act 2005.”
                      It didn't just may breach it does breach.. I really must resurrect my old plan b - how to legally "raffle" something..
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X