• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unemployment rate falls to 4.3% as wages stagnate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny how OwlHoot likes every post except the ones that point out factually how wrong he is, a bit like excon.
    As original PM posted earlier...

[QUOTE=original PM;2468738]
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post

When I go out and about the feeling I get is that the shops are full, the restaurants are full, people are going on holiday, buying cars and generally just getting on with life. There has seemed to me to be a disconnect between the reality of life for most people and the reported state of the country by the likes of the Guardian & BBC. That is of course not to say there are not pockets of society and groups of people within it who are suffering, but I don't believe they are the majority.
      If your eyes were a reliable indicator of the state of the economy you'd probably have a much more interesting job than IT contracting

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
        What's amazing about it? If you lived here, you'd have realised that the economy is motoring.

Unemployment has been dropping steadily for the last 4 -5 years.

When I go out and about the feeling I get is that the shops are full, the restaurants are full, people are going on holiday, buying cars and generally just getting on with life. There has seemed to me to be a disconnect between the reality of life for most people and the reported state of the country by the likes of the Guardian & BBC. That is of course not to say there are not pockets of society and groups of people within it who are suffering, but I don't believe they are the majority.

The UK economy has been designed to create jobs easily compared to say France. It's just functioning as it is supposed to.
        Indeed - with the exception of what may happen when we do leave the EEC the only other major difference we will see is that we no longer have to care what the politicians in Brussels say.

And the impact of leaving the EEC (or whatever the current name for the trade deals etc are) is still an unknown.

I was asking myself last night if I really considered myself to be a citizen of Europe or a citizen of the UK and then I realised - I am native to the UK and a citizen of the world.

And when you look at it like that trying to belong to a club which only includes a small proportion of the countries of the world - and when you look to leave that club you find they act like a bunch of spoilt ten year olds - you realise how much of a stupid thing it is.

So goodbye europe hello world really.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          Indeed - with the exception of what may happen when we do leave the EEC the only other major difference we will see is that we no longer have to care what the politicians in Brussels say.

And the impact of leaving the EEC (or whatever the current name for the trade deals etc are) is still an unknown.

I was asking myself last night if I really considered myself to be a citizen of Europe or a citizen of the UK and then I realised - I am native to the UK and a citizen of the world.

And when you look at it like that trying to belong to a club which only includes a small proportion of the countries of the world - and when you look to leave that club you find they act like a bunch of spoilt ten year olds - you realise how much of a stupid thing it is.

So goodbye europe hello world really.
          You're intimating that when the UK leaves the EU it will suddenly have a load of new trade deals with the rest of the world. Nothing could be further from the truth. The UK will struggle simply to get the trade deals it already had as a member of the EU.

Just check out Switzerland, is that saying "hello" to the rest of the world.

Absolutely not.....it spends it's entire life grovelling to the EU or being kicked around by the US, because they can. It's even agreed to "Schengen"

This is exactly where the UK is heading as a rather pathetic grovelling appendage to the EU, if it's lucky and they pay their bar bill. The icing on the cake will be a Corbyn led UK government dismantling the military.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            You're intimating that when the UK leaves the EU it will suddenly have a load of new trade deals with the rest of the world. Nothing could be further from the truth. The UK will struggle simply to get the trade deals it already had as a member of the EU.

Just check out Switzerland, is that saying "hello" to the rest of the world.

Absolutely not.....it spends it's entire life grovelling to the EU or being kicked around by the US, because they can. It's even agreed to "Schengen"

This is exactly where the UK is heading as a rather pathetic grovelling appendage to the EU, if it's lucky and they pay their bar bill. The icing on the cake will be a Corbyn led UK government dismantling the military.

Not really what I am saying is we will be free to do so and therefore over a number of years we will.

Some people's problem is they have to have a defined timeline for everything without ever really understanding that the future is not set and will change.

We in the UK are positioning ourselves to look outwards to the rest of the world and beyond as the human race starts to populate the rest of the solar system.

Not looking inwardly at what is increasingly becoming a small minded Europe only experiment designed to keep power in the hands of the few and hunger in the bellies of many.

Comment

Originally posted by excon View Post
              The way the bbc report is clever and very subtle. If there is a story that doesn't fit it's agenda or world view e.g. the New Year rapes in Cologne they will sit on it for a few days and then report it for a few hours then pull the article so they can't be accused of "bias".

The fact that the bbc are institutionally biased towards the liberal left is clear for all to see and freely stated by its own employees.
              Other news organisations do similar like the Daily Mail.

Til this day people are shocked they actually took the national lead on investigating a story about institutional racism.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Not really what I am saying is we will be free to do so and therefore over a number of years we will.

Some people's problem is they have to have a defined timeline for everything without ever really understanding that the future is not set and will change.

We in the UK are positioning ourselves to look outwards to the rest of the world and beyond as the human race starts to populate the rest of the solar system.

Not looking inwardly at what is increasingly becoming a small minded Europe only experiment designed to keep power in the hands of the few and hunger in the bellies of many.
                Both Germany and France export significantly more than the UK to the rest of the world. The EU is currently in negotiations with China, Japan, Australia and New Zealand who have all said that they prioritise their deals with the EU over the UK, hardly inward looking.

The UK will shrivel once it has left the EU, waiting for countries to conclude their deals with the EU.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

How many years until we have the first one that is actually beneficial to UK businesses and the population?
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    How many years until we have the first one that is actually beneficial to UK businesses and the population?
                    When Brexiteers talk about an outward looking Britain, what they mean is Empire 2.0, i.e. one sided trade deals where the UK shoves the products and services it wants to sell down the throats of third countries without making any compromises, which in effect is an insular and inward looking Britain that won't be able to conclude any worthwhile trade deals and will probably be thrown off the UN security council once the EU withdraws its support.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                      When Brexiteers talk about an outward looking Britain, what they mean is Empire 2.0, i.e. one sided trade deals where the UK shoves the products and services it wants to sell down the throats of third countries without making any compromises, which in effect is an insular and inward looking Britain that won't be able to conclude any worthwhile trade deals and will probably be thrown off the UN security council once the EU withdraws its support.
                      You have, of course, put the farm on this.

Comment

Working...
                      X