• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unemployment rate falls to 4.3% as wages stagnate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing isn't it? Soon there'll be no unemployed working able people left in the UK.

What's really going on here? Tory's doing a first class job managing the economy? Cause the economy or productivity levels don't appear to be improving, in fact the reverse.

Or an ever increasing ageing population with fewer employable people messing up the stats?

Unemployment in the UK fell by 75,000 in the three months to July, official figures show, bringing the jobless rate down to 4.3%.

This is a fresh 42-year low, but a squeeze on real incomes continues.

Wages in the period were 2.1% higher than a year earlier, little changed from previous months' growth rates.
    With inflation hitting 2.9% in August, its joint highest in more than five years, wages are failing to keep up. In real terms, wages dropped by 0.4%.
    source: Unemployment rate falls to 4.3% as wages stagnate - BBC News
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Amazing isn't it? Soon there'll be no unemployed working able people left in the UK.

What's really going on here? Tory's doing a first class job managing the economy? Cause the economy or productivity levels don't appear to be improving, in fact the reverse.

Or an ever increasing ageing population with fewer employable people messing up the stats?
    I see Lord Haw Haw is up.

Comment

I think that "wages stagnating" is the BBC desperately putting -ve spin on +ve news.

rather like "pound falls" = expensive foreign holidays, inflation up, economy weak
      pound rises again, not a peep

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        I think that "wages stagnating" is the BBC desperately putting -ve spin on +ve news.

rather like "pound falls" = expensive foreign holidays, inflation up, economy weak
        We're still importing a shed load of people which will cap wage growth.

Comment

Many are employed part time on part time wages, so yes both unemployment and wage figures will be reduced, while working tax credits and whatever other supplements they qualify for/need are higher than if they were in full time work at full time wages.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
            I see Lord Haw Haw is up.
            or as scooter would probably spell it, Lawd Huagh Hore
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Yup, standard BBC drill, also rather like

Several army guys arrested on suspicions of neo-Nazi links - big hoo hah
              All of them almost immediately released without charge - not a peep
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Yup, standard BBC drill, also rather like

Several army guys arrested on suspicions of neo-Nazi links - big hoo hah
                All of them almost immediately released without charge - not a peep

Maybe because it doesn't fit your narrative when the BBC reports something that you consider positive?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41237552

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41218006
                http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41241153
                Bad BBC for daring to report this when they are only supposed to report news that makes them seem biased

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

After Brexit it will be back to 1970's style high wage growth.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    After Brexit it will be back to 1970's style high wage growth.

Backup has arrived in the form of random assumptions.

Comment

Working...
                    X