• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Saving more on VAT and corporation tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I don't see he's wilfully doing it. I don't think HMRC care the reason though.
    Stashing it away in another account when you know it's owed seems wilful to me.

You're right though. They don't care.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    I say that you are wilfully committing tax evasion and using your accountant as an excuse.
    I don't see he's wilfully doing it. I don't think HMRC care the reason though.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Ch0pper View Post
    This was all I wanted to know. Thank you. This means the onus is on my accountant to communicate to me how much I owe, and he has failed to do so.

You can keep the rest of the condescension, pouring that on took time out of your life that you can never get back.
    My time is only wasted if you ignore the important points. Which you have.
    As for the accountant. You chose him. You have paid him for 3 years. Why haven't you sacked him?

I say that you are wilfully committing tax evasion and using your accountant as an excuse. Expect to be fined by HMRC and to have to pay interest at the very least.

As for condescension.... This is general. And you're deliberately not paying your dues.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Your accountant sounds incompetent. I'm afraid that your responsibility as a Director doesn't excuse that. We all know that we have to pay Corporation Tax, but it does sound as though you have buried your head in the sand here. You could always have called HMRC and got the info.

Did you not review the Company Tax Return?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    I think you're missing something here. It matters not what he accountant does or doesn't do. It is you as the director to make absolutely sure you trade in line with all company legislation and this means determining your company tax and paying it on time. Like the previous poster says, you have nowhere to hide on this one. my recommendation is you need to find a decent accountant and in addition get up to speed with what you're responsibilities really are regrading running a Ltd Company. Put even more bluntly, if you don't pay your Ltd Co's tax, it isn't the accountant who goes to jail.
    Indeed but surely the accountant has a duty of care here. The OP might be ultimately responsible but if the accountant has failed to do basic stuff and keep him in the dark some of that liability can be passed to him. Just because you are the director it doesn't mean the accountant can get away with acting negligently.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    This was all I wanted to know. Thank you. This means the onus is on my accountant to communicate to me how much I owe, and he has failed to do so.

You can keep the rest of the condescension, pouring that on took time out of your life that you can never get back.
    I think you're missing something here. It matters not what he accountant does or doesn't do. It is you as the director to make absolutely sure you trade in line with all company legislation and this means determining your company tax and paying it on time. Like the previous poster says, you have nowhere to hide on this one. my recommendation is you need to find a decent accountant and in addition get up to speed with what you're responsibilities really are regrading running a Ltd Company. Put even more bluntly, if you don't pay your Ltd Co's tax, it isn't the accountant who goes to jail.

Leave a comment:

• Ch0pper
    replied
    Yes I read it.

Company address only.

Then why haven't you paid it?

No obligation is with your accountant (simpleton or not, but if you know he's a simpleton whay have you let this slip?). You're the director.

Neither. I get a final set of accounts from the accountant and pay before HMRC even know how much I owe them.

You've nowhere to hide on this one. Your accountant might be a twat, but he's YOUR accountant. It's your responsibility.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    You haven't actually read the post through, based on your answer. Did you miss the part where I said, more than once, that I had been asking my accountant about the outstanding CT bill??????
    Yes I read it.

My question remains, do HMRC notify me via letter to my home address (which they have on file)or do they only notify the registered address of my LC?
    Company address only.

FYI I know exactly how much I owe and I have no issue with the amount or in paying it, my issue is with the responsibility of notification. I received nothing from HMRC for either year.
    Then why haven't you paid it?

So either they have not notified me for whatever reason, or hey don't have to and the obligation is with my Accountant, and my Accountant has failed to notify me, because he is a simpleton.
    No obligation is with your accountant (simpleton or not, but if you know he's a simpleton whay have you let this slip?). You're the director.

When your CT bill arrives is it direct from HMRC or via your accountant?
    Neither. I get a final set of accounts from the accountant and pay before HMRC even know how much I owe them.

You've nowhere to hide on this one. Your accountant might be a twat, but he's YOUR accountant. It's your responsibility.

Leave a comment:

• Ch0pper
    replied
    Oops. You're responsible, your accountant isn't.

3 years with no CT????? Really?????
    And it's someone else's fault???

You can sack your accountant. Who's going to sack you?

As for advice. I suggest you cough up sharpish. How much? You may need another accountant, or better than that pay more than you think and get a rebate once it's calculated.

Thank you.

You haven't actually read the post through, based on your answer. Did you miss the part where I said, more than once, that I had been asking my accountant about the outstanding CT bill??????

My question remains, do HMRC notify me via letter to my home address (which they have on file)or do they only notify the registered address of my LC?

FYI I know exactly how much I owe and I have no issue with the amount or in paying it, my issue is with the responsibility of notification. I received nothing from HMRC for either year.

So either they have not notified me for whatever reason, or hey don't have to and the obligation is with my Accountant, and my Accountant has failed to notify me, because he is a simpleton.

When your CT bill arrives is it direct from HMRC or via your accountant?

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Good Evening

>SNIP<

I have been chasing my Accountant on and off for approximately the last 18 months for a statement of CT for 2015, 2016 and now for 2017

>SNIP<

I have been asking him on and off for the past 18 months about this CT issue and have not had a satisfactory answer from him, if it turns out that I am being fined for an issue not of my own making there will shortly be one less useless accountant to worry about

Oops. You're responsible, your accountant isn't.

3 years with no CT????? Really?????
    And it's someone else's fault???

You can sack your accountant. Who's going to sack you?

As for advice. I suggest you cough up sharpish. How much? You may need another accountant, or better than that pay more than you think and get a rebate once it's calculated.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X