• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Place yer bets looks like a second referendum is coming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"How will you get an ‘EU’ passport via Dublin and Germany?
    You can’t combine residence in different states towards PR so it’s either/or.
    Five years in Ireland or eight years in Germany."

Move to Dublin to work and either:

Marry (arranged deal or otherwise)
    Wait Three years and apply for duel citizenship. Then passport.
    Move to Germany.

Germany, due to IT moving to Germany over the next 10+ years.

That's what Google confirmed in a conference in Scotland.
    Europe tech was London and some Berlin, now seen as Berlin and Frankfurt.

It will not be sudden, but over ten years or so.

Again, it's not the difference in wage and GDP that will be the difference, it's the compound affect of the different in GDP and wage over the medium and long term that will be the killer for the UK when compared with the other major EU countries.

Quicker route is buy citizenship in Greece at E250,000k
    Can't afford that.

Interesting route, though, does not fully work for working locally in EU is e-residency.

No, I don't like it, but there we are.

I will wait until 2019 then re-assess, but that's my plan.

Think of it like this.
    If you stay in the UK, you will not notice anything very much, but come 2030-35, if you go to an EU country such as France or Germany, they will look richer.

That seems to fit with references above.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      How will you get an ‘EU’ passport via Dublin and Germany?

You can’t combine residence in different states towards PR so it’s either/or.

Five years in Ireland or eight years in Germany.
      I thought exactly the same. Probably he is preparing to buy one on the black market.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
        I thought exactly the same. Probably he is preparing to buy one on the black market.
        Gosh, your right. Citizenship for Ireland is Five years.
        I may try and marry someone, it's three years then.
        There is a deal to be made there.
        I will have to see.

They don't make it easy do they.

Comment

Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
          I will have to see.

You can marry an Italian or a Spaniard, one year that way, but with the Spaniard you are supposed to give up other Nationalities.

Comment

Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
            I will have to see.

And don't forget despite EU and also after UK leaving the EU, UK citz. are considered settled in Ireland from day one (and vice-versa) without preconditions, still have to wait 5 years for citizenship without marriage but that door will always be open. All thanks to the Acts of Union 1801, The Aliens Act 1905 (as amended) and the CTA.

Comment

It's as if people think swapping your nationality is like changing a pair of shoes.

Don't forget your declaration of fidelity. For example:

The declaration states that you will respect the rights, freedoms and laws of Ireland. You will be given the words of the declaration on the day and you won't have to memorise them.

You do not become an Irish citizen until you make your declaration.
              Declaration of fidelity to the Irish nation and loyalty to the State

"I (name) having applied to the Minister for Justice and Equality for a certificate of naturalisation, hereby solemnly declare my fidelity to the Irish nation and my loyalty to the State.

I undertake to faithfully observe the laws of the State and to respect its democratic values."

Irish Nationalisation and Immigration Services

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                It's as if people think swapping your nationality is like changing a pair of shoes.

Don't forget your declaration of fidelity. For example:

The declaration states that you will respect the rights, freedoms and laws of Ireland. You will be given the words of the declaration on the day and you won't have to memorise them.

You do not become an Irish citizen until you make your declaration.
                Declaration of fidelity to the Irish nation and loyalty to the State

"I (name) having applied to the Minister for Justice and Equality for a certificate of naturalisation, hereby solemnly declare my fidelity to the Irish nation and my loyalty to the State.

I undertake to faithfully observe the laws of the State and to respect its democratic values."

Irish Nationalisation and Immigration Services
                Let me help you out. Acquiring Irish citizenship as a UK citizend is not 'swapping' citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  Let me help you out. Acquiring Irish citizenship as a UK citizend is not 'swapping' citizenship.
                  It's taken then up 18 months to start discussing the border issue with Ireland. I wouldn't worry so much, UK ain't leaving the EU anytime soon.

Comment

No, and for many there's no requirement to do all the stuff the Eq said.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Technically it's possible but, you'll find that being British/Irish is normally considered mutually exclusive. As I've suggested before, try taking a straw poll in you local to see how many agree that you're both.

Comment

Working...
                      X