• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Place yer bets looks like a second referendum is coming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    It's taken then up 18 months to start discussing the border issue with Ireland. I wouldn't worry so much, UK ain't leaving the EU anytime soon.
    I get a vote. as a British citizen resident, in Ireland in elections, but I want a vote on constitutional issues as well. There's hopefully a vote coming up on repeal of the 8th amendment (equal right to life of the mother and the unborn child).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      I get a vote. as a British citizen resident, in Ireland in elections, but I want a vote on constitutional issues as well. There's hopefully a vote coming up on repeal of the 8th amendment (equal right to life of the mother and the unborn child).
      What's Paddy Power offering on that one?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        Don't go there on this forum.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          And don't forget despite EU and also after UK leaving the EU, UK citz. are considered settled in Ireland from day one (and vice-versa) without preconditions, still have to wait 5 years for citizenship without marriage but that door will always be open. All thanks to the Acts of Union 1801, The Aliens Act 1905 (as amended) and the CTA.
          Ah. Thank you. Interesting.

I can't go for Spain because they do not do duel citizenship.
          I can after Ireland, but not before.
          I would have gone strait to Germany but again, duel citizenship.

It does sound drastic I know, but once you get your head around the fact that the UK will be on a lower projection than the rest of Northern Europe then it makes logical sense.

Plus, anyway, working in Dublin is the same as working in London.
          I am still away from home but the rates are projected to go up in Dublin higher than they are projected to do in London. Could be wrong, who knows.

Anyway, that's my plan.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
            It's as if people think swapping your nationality is like changing a pair of shoes.

Don't forget your declaration of fidelity. For example:

The declaration states that you will respect the rights, freedoms and laws of Ireland. You will be given the words of the declaration on the day and you won't have to memorise them.

You do not become an Irish citizen until you make your declaration.
            Declaration of fidelity to the Irish nation and loyalty to the State

"I (name) having applied to the Minister for Justice and Equality for a certificate of naturalisation, hereby solemnly declare my fidelity to the Irish nation and my loyalty to the State.

I undertake to faithfully observe the laws of the State and to respect its democratic values."

Irish Nationalisation and Immigration Services

Thanks for the link.
            Not swapping, just adding a new one.
            I would have duel nationality, giving access to the EU again.

Comment

Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
              I would have duel nationality
              Pistols at dawn?
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Pistols at dawn?
                Oh yes. lol.

My spelink is wubbish

Dual nationality

Comment

Point is largely moot, my opinion is that after all this, all EU states will implement freedom of movement to visitors only, with auto-work permits (like Switzerland do now) for the deemed skilled, and settlement rights in line with non-EU nationals.

It's already happening, CH above, NL and FR making it difficult without local language, there's just too many flocking to the latest what's-hot state for whatever scraps they can pick up, too much watering down of local culture, and too many citizenship pimps in it for cream...

One thing is for sure though, rates will have to shoot up in Dublin, there's no more places to live left......

I'm a Bremainer but it's wasted on thick people so they should stay where they were born!

Comment

Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
                    Gosh, your right. Citizenship for Ireland is Five years.
                    I may try and marry someone, it's three years then.
                    There is a deal to be made there.
                    I will have to see.

They don't make it easy do they.
                    Bleach marriages are against the law in most of the EU countries.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      No, and for many there's no requirement to do all the stuff the Eq said.
                      I don't recall having to do any of that. Mind you, that was over ten years ago when you could get Irish citizenship without all that "residency" kerfuffle...

Comment

Working...
                      X