• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

France expensive but still Beautiful

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

France expensive but still Beautiful

Back from sunny France, it seems so expensive.

We used to go over there and fill the car with groceries to save a fortune, now its the same price or more.

Carrefour & Auchan now make Tesco look cheap for the same goods.

Cheap Wine, Cheese, bread, mustard & chocolate still better.

Transport system still excellent & 1.60 for an hours travel.

Houses in Rouen are about £350K for a four bed detached with a medium city garden in a nice area so property is still cheap compared to the UK.

Parks are now 50/50 African/white so it looks like there is plenty of immigration even in Normandy.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Back from sunny France, it seems so expensive.

We used to go over there and fill the car with groceries to save a fortune, now its the same price or more.

Carrefour & Auchan now make Tesco look cheap for the same goods.

Cheap Wine, Cheese, bread, mustard & chocolate still better.

Transport system still excellent & 1.60 for an hours travel.

Houses in Rouen are about £350K for a four bed detached with a medium city garden in a nice area so property is still cheap compared to the UK.

Parks are now 50/50 African/white so it looks like there is plenty of immigration even in Normandy.
    Once we get duty free back post Brexit all will be OK - fill your boots on the Ferry
    Have you ever driven through Évreux? think the split is more like 80/20

Comment

Could have alot to do with GBP 1 = Euro 1. GBP may even go < Euro 1. Oh, for the days of FFR 10 = GBP 1.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        Could have alot to do with GBP 1 = Euro 1. GBP may even go < Euro 1. Oh, for the days of FFR 10 = GBP 1.
        nope its with the Euro adjustment in mind and comparing historical Euro (we go annually and have been visiting for about 15 years).
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It's all heading towards $1 = €1 = £1 = 1 CHF. It's a conspiracy I tell ya!
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Benny View Post
            Once we get duty free back post Brexit all will be OK - fill your boots on the Ferry
            Have you ever driven through Évreux? think the split is more like 80/20

When entering the UK your duty free allowances, is up to 3 bottles of wine, 1 litre of spirits, 200 cigarettes and a maximum of £390 worth of perfume and souvenirs.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Benny View Post
              Once we get duty free back post Brexit all will be OK ...
              God, yes, I'd completely forgotten about duty free. Yet another good reason to have voted for Brexit!
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Come to Switzerland. Not in the EU, so duty free. 1 litre > 18%, 5 litres >2% <=18%, 250 ciggies. We also get the 20% VAT refunded when we import stuff from Germany.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Was over there for 2 weeks in July. Beautiful country with friendly people, respectful people. So many more manners than the majority Brits.

As for costs, the better half is disabled and most (not all) places of interest offer free or greatly reduced entrance fees for disabled visitors. Angers Castle, for example, completely free for both of us. However badly the pound drops against the euro, the price of 'free' won't change Obviously we'd prefer she wasn't ill, but as she is, and we can't do anything to change that, we are grateful for the generosity of the French
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    We also get the 20% VAT refunded when we import stuff from Germany.
                    Someone mentioned that to me over the weekend. He also said the €70 lunch he had on Sunday was good value - didn’t have the heart to tell him I spend more than that if going to the best restaurant in my town in northern England.

Mind you it will make shopping in France / Germany cheap in 2 years time
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X