• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How big is your CV ??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Ahhh. A manager is a manager because they're good.
    Not promoted to management as they're no good but get on with people.

Hint. Contractors aren't used as managers as they are temporary.
    Hint 2. Managers aren't usually any good at what their juniors do. That may not actually be your case but it is generally thought to be so.

Are you a Test Manager or a manager of testers?

Hint 3. The former can get contract work, the latter cannot.
    Thanks

I thought both are needed, I started as "Test Manager" but now may be more a "Manager of Testers". But for that to be confirmed I need to get an interview and someone need to assess my skill set. I am not even getting a face to face interview these days!

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
      Thanks

I thought both are needed, I started as "Test Manager" but now may be more a "Manager of Testers". But for that to be confirmed I need to get an interview and someone need to assess my skill set. I am not even getting a face to face interview these days!
      If you are a Test Manager with appropriate skills then you should be able to get work.

If you are a manager of testers then you are doing a permie job and are within the scope of IR35.

I suggest you modify your CV so are a Test Manager not a manager of testers.

If you don't understand the difference then look for a permie job.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thanks

You need a reality check on your market.
        In my experience a test manager is brought in to run the testing for a specific project. And may or may not have 1 or 2 junior testers. In most of the cases I've worked with them there have been no testers and the 'manager' has simply written plans and co-ordinated UAT with the business.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          If you are a Test Manager with appropriate skills then you should be able to get work.

If you are a manager of testers then you are doing a permie job and are within the scope of IR35.

I suggest you modify your CV so are a Test Manager not a manager of testers.

If you don't understand the difference then look for a permie job.
          If you need to manage testing, you need to do day to day management (plan, schedule, report) of their activities as well. My CV got only one line on test resource management. So it is not the problem.

Comment

If you need to manage testing, you need to do day to day management (plan, schedule, report) of their activities as well. My CV got only one line on test resource management. So it is not the problem.
            Well if you know the answer to your problem why start loads of threads?
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

21 Years - 4 Pages, still at least a page too long

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Well if you know the answer to your problem why start loads of threads?
                don't know all answers for all problems with my CV/profile/search.. and your feedback is always extremely valuable. thanks.
                Last edited by Darren_Test; 31 August 2017, 10:38.

Comment

29 years
                  3 pages made up of
                  14086 characters with spaces
                  12100 characters
                  1981 words
                  205 lines
                  96 paragraphs
                  with margins at 1.5cm

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                    29 years
                    3 pages made up of
                    12100 characters
                    1981 words
                    205 lines
                    96 paragraphs
                    with margins at 1.5cm
                    At last. Someone who is taking the OPs request seriously and offering some solid facts for him to consider in his quest for answers.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                      29 years
                      3 pages made up of
                      12100 characters
                      1981 words
                      205 lines
                      96 paragraphs
                      with margins at 1.5cm
                      That's why I spend so long on the bench, my margins are 1.45cm. If I'd known that, I'd probably not have been benched for as long as 5 weeks in the last 6 years.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X