• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hipster causes murder on a bike

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Don't be dense. The red light time is based on how long it takes a slow person to cross the road on foot. They don't go back to green any quicker because the selfish twat has been and gone.

They have flashing amber before a dodderer would have reached the other side under red, so plebs don't go all death race on them and must give way to those crossing while the amber is flashing.

So you may have saved a second or more waiting time if the cyclist cycled rather than walked, so you could drive through the amber.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      It isn't for normal Pelican crossings.

That's why in London lots of crossings have count down timers or sensors on them.

It would be interesting to see stats on how much safer or not the different approaches to pedestrians crossing roads was around the world.

From places where jaywalking is illegal, to those where can only cross on striped crossing when green regardless of whether anything coming (with or without countdown indicator to appease/stress out those in a hurry), to the lax way we have it in the UK.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

So can I take it they were both mentalists?

No front brake (the only one that really works) and both glued to their twit bricks.

London life, glad I'm out of it......

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
          They have flashing amber before a dodderer would have reached the other side under red, so plebs don't go all death race on them and must give way to those crossing while the amber is flashing.
          I have been at crossings where it has gone green before a dodderer has finally finished crossing the road. Apart from the one w*nker who hoots their horn behind you, everyone else just patiently waits hoping they never turn into that when they are 80-odd.

So you may have saved a second or more waiting time if the cyclist cycled rather than walked, so you could drive through the amber.
          Mal just doesn't like cyclists. He doesn't realise that every other adult cyclist is taking a car of the road.

Also lots of councils in London are making roads 20mph and randomly enforcing it, so a cyclist (or even average speed walking pedestrian) can cross the road without using a crossing.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Also lots of councils in London are making roads 20mph and randomly enforcing it...
            They should make it 10mph then it's quicker to cycle than drive.*

A green policy that may work, though then they'd have to raise money from cycling permits rather than the congestion tax.

* Presuming no one ever gets done for speeding on a cycle if not mowing down pedestrians.

Comment

Quite a lot of people don't live in London and don't get high tech lights and the like. We do get unusable cycle lanes, uncoordinated traffic lights meant to disrupt flow rather then help it and blanket but unenforceable 20mph limits.

I don't hate cyclists. I do hate people who ignore or CBA to learn the rules of the road regardless of how they're using them.

HTH...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I hear ya. Cyclists are currently getting an easy ride. They should be licensed/insured/taxed so they are traceable and accountable for riding like bell ends.

It will come if more people use bikes to commute around towns/cities. By which time the authorities may also have the cycle lanes sorted and traffic management fit for purpose, a pipe dream I know.

I particularly dislike the cycles lanes that are merely painted lines down an otherwise normal pavement. They have symbols at the start/end to say which bit is for bikes and which for pedestrians, and I'm sure I've seen some where they swap the symbols around at random points after a break in the path, but if you join half way down it's guess work until a cyclist comes barrelling along and expects you to dive out of the way just because they've rung their bell.

Comment

I hear ya. Cyclists are currently getting an easy ride. They should be licensed/insured/taxed so they are traceable and accountable for riding like bell ends.
                  Pedestrians should be tagged so they are traceable for when they walk around like bell ends, looking at their phone when they should be paying attention.

Maybe they could all be microchipped?

In this case there were 2 idiots. It is very unfortunate someone died. However the cyclist did have priority. Even if he is a total bell end.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Pedestrians should be tagged so they are traceable for when they walk around like bell ends, looking at their phone when they should be paying attention.

In this case there were 2 idiots. It is very unfortunate someone died. However the cyclist did have priority. Even if he is a total bell end.
                    There is no law against looking at your phone (or any things else - like say a note book or a map) when walking.

There should be one for people on cycles.

In fact - you know how cyclists always bitch about 'inconsiderate car users' lets start the pedestrians campaign about 'inconsiderate bike users'.

The key thing is the most vulnerable should have the most protection.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

No, absolutely not. The law is clear that pedestrians always have priority and you should always aim to be driving/riding/whatever in a manner that allows you to stop or avoid in time. Riding an illegal bike with no brakes rather ignores that concept. (So, come to that, is being so engrossed in something that you put yourself in danger, but in the pedestrian's case that is only ever a mitigation)

I suspect this case will be decided on if the rider met that stop-or-avoid requirement or not. If he didn't his ignoring the legalities of cycling will no doubt colour his eventual penalty.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X