How to commit career suicide - moan about diversity
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 202
  1. #11

    Super poster

    Fred Bloggs 's job has never been outsourced

    Fred Bloggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,778
    Thanks (Given)
    24
    Thanks (Received)
    87
    Likes (Given)
    96
    Likes (Received)
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    Depends where you work.

    High heels can be a safety hazard.
    Understood, but the riggers boots don't go too well with the dress.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

  2. #12

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak is a fount of knowledge

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    18,022
    Thanks (Given)
    491
    Thanks (Received)
    1062
    Likes (Given)
    4223
    Likes (Received)
    2815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Understood, but the riggers boots don't go too well with the dress.
    That depends on your perspective.

    I wore 14 hole Dockers with a full petticoat dress only a few weeks ago...

  3. #13

    Super poster

    Fred Bloggs 's job has never been outsourced

    Fred Bloggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,778
    Thanks (Given)
    24
    Thanks (Received)
    87
    Likes (Given)
    96
    Likes (Received)
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    That depends on your perspective.

    I wore 14 hole Dockers with a full petticoat dress only a few weeks ago...
    You trendy little tinker cjk. We need to see the proof of that
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

  4. #14

    Godlike

    original PM - scorchio!

    original PM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    9,101
    Thanks (Given)
    23
    Thanks (Received)
    308
    Likes (Given)
    76
    Likes (Received)
    1322

    Default

    Indeed.

    I work for a company who embrace diversity.

    In general it is fine but at times you end up with tokenism - which ultimately damages the company as you are not recruiting the best people you are recruiting the people to fill up your 'quota'

  5. #15

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    28,193
    Thanks (Given)
    1450
    Thanks (Received)
    1174
    Likes (Given)
    4564
    Likes (Received)
    4270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by original PM View Post
    Indeed.

    I work for a company who embrace diversity.

    In general it is fine but at times you end up with tokenism - which ultimately damages the company as you are not recruiting the best people you are recruiting the people to fill up your 'quota'
    Well that's just stupid

    If you cannot hire someone then leave the role unfilled.

    Personally most companies I've been in the issues have been with young white middle class males. And I'm not saying other groups haven't caused problems.
    "Youíre just a bad memory who doesnít know when to go away" JR

  6. #16

    Godlike

    original PM - scorchio!

    original PM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    9,101
    Thanks (Given)
    23
    Thanks (Received)
    308
    Likes (Given)
    76
    Likes (Received)
    1322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    Well that's just stupid

    If you cannot hire someone then leave the role unfilled.

    Personally most companies I've been in the issues have been with young white middle class males. And I'm not saying other groups haven't caused problems.
    Indeed - the right person for the job is the right person for the job - their colour/creed/sex etc should not even come into it.

    But thats the problem with positive discrimination.

  7. #17

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    28,193
    Thanks (Given)
    1450
    Thanks (Received)
    1174
    Likes (Given)
    4564
    Likes (Received)
    4270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by original PM View Post
    Indeed - the right person for the job is the right person for the job - their colour/creed/sex etc should not even come into it.

    But thats the problem with positive discrimination.
    Nope actually that's not the problem with positive discrimination. The problem is when people they specifically choose don't fulfill the other criteria so can't do the job.

    I actually know of an illegal case of positive discrimination years ago. A male teacher was deliberately choose over all the female applicants for a teaching role. The reason he was chosen was to improve the gender balance of the school and the fact there were many children specifically boys without a male role model in their lives.
    "Youíre just a bad memory who doesnít know when to go away" JR

  8. #18

    My post count is Majestic

    NickFitz is a fount of knowledge

    NickFitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Your local branch
    Posts
    39,760
    Thanks (Given)
    1963
    Thanks (Received)
    2457
    Likes (Given)
    10541
    Likes (Received)
    5667

    Default

    A riposte from somebody who's recently left a fairly senior position at Google: https://medium.com/@yonatanzunger/so...o-1e3773ed1788

    (1) Despite speaking very authoritatively, the author does not appear to understand gender.

    (2) Perhaps more interestingly, the author does not appear to understand engineering.

    (3) And most seriously, the author does not appear to understand the consequences of what he wrote, either for others or himself.

  9. #19

    Fingers like lightning

    Dark Black 's job has never been outsourced

    Dark Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    the post-apocalyptic wasteland
    Posts
    831
    Thanks (Given)
    323
    Thanks (Received)
    34
    Likes (Given)
    1686
    Likes (Received)
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by original PM View Post
    Indeed - the right person for the job is the right person for the job - their colour/creed/sex etc should not even come into it.

    But thats the problem with positive discrimination.
    or age...
    Do what thou wilt

  10. #20

    Godlike

    original PM - scorchio!

    original PM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    9,101
    Thanks (Given)
    23
    Thanks (Received)
    308
    Likes (Given)
    76
    Likes (Received)
    1322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NickFitz View Post
    A riposte from somebody who's recently left a fairly senior position at Google: https://medium.com/@yonatanzunger/so...o-1e3773ed1788
    Seeing as I can apparently define my own gender label on a daily basis - what is gender?

    And who is anyone to say who 'understands' it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.