• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to commit career suicide - moan about diversity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    There's kind of a fundamental flaw in being all PC about "diversity". A company and it's employees need to be 100% focused on delivery. In a business that runs that way, it gets to be automatically pretty diverse. I mean, who cares flying f**k if a piping designer uses a wheel chair or if civil engineer is deaf? In my honest experience, NOBODY cares. An organisation that focuses resources on diversity is actually admitting it is failing, in my view. I think it has a potential to be very damaging indeed to a company by deflecting attention and resources towards non productive actions and ideas in the name of being PC about "diversity".
    Wheelchair users and deaf people face barriers. Diversity is about dealing with these barriers.

Anyway, I'd say Alphabet is doing OK for itself.

Comment

The trial found assigning a male name to a candidate made them 3.2 per cent less likely to get a job interview.

Adding a woman's name to a CV made the candidate 2.9 per cent more likely to get a foot in the door.
      so there is already positive discrimination.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        Wheelchair users and deaf people face barriers. Diversity is about dealing with these barriers.

Anyway, I'd say Alphabet is doing OK for itself.
        In my world I'd say certainly not. As for religion, race or other factors, equally not. Perhaps I am fortunate, age is no barrier either. Luckily for me, there are plenty of guys approaching or in their 70's and still top of their game. Delivering an international O&G project is 100% about delivery, on time, to budget and safely. Everything else is just a given.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Would you rather employ some MAMIL? Or a young female?

Comment

What about unisex names?

They have already done studies on non-Anglo Saxon names properly and individuals. Virgin Media was going to be sued by a black guy due to not interviewing him until he put a fake Anglo-Saxon name on the same CV. Another guy changed his name from an Islamic one to a very weird British one and Schroders suddenly decided with the same CV he was worth interviewing.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              are they any good?
              can we work with them?

anything else important?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Depends on how the MAMIL looks in Lycra....

On a more serious note if you want to pay someone less you hire the young female.

Comment

Yep I pointed that out many posts ago.

In regards to disabled people for most government positions if you have a disability you automatically get an interview. It is enshrined in law that you can do this.

The reason for that is - and I know deaf and blind people - is that employers automatically think the reasonable adjustments they need are really difficult so it's easily not to interview the person. There as for lots disabilities - there are a lot of hidden ones - the adjustments are easy to do and some employers do them anyway for all their staff e.g. flexible working.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Depends on how the MAMIL looks in Lycra....

On a more serious note if you want to pay someone less you hire the young female.
                    or the old bloke after he was made redundant.

Or the best if you know what you are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Yep I pointed that out many posts ago.

In regards to disabled people for most government positions if you have a disability you automatically get an interview. It is enshrined in law that you can do this.

The reason for that is - and I know deaf and blind people - is that employers automatically think the reasonable adjustments they need are really difficult so it's easily not to interview the person. There as for lots disabilities - there are a lot of hidden ones - the adjustments are easy to do and some employers do them anyway for all their staff e.g. flexible working.
                      Mate of mine was legally registered as partially sighted (teenage cataracts) 20 years ago, he got a job with the council because he filled their disability quota. After his operation he joined one of the big 5 and became one of their top programmers.

We had a chap who was partially sighted and a copy of Dolphin and he was fine.

I would employ disabled people.

Comment

Working...
                      X