• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All diesel and petrol car sales to be banned

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    But on a cruise ship, as on a large lorry or bus, it's easier to fit filters and scrubbers to greatly reduce the pollution.

Incidently, as I've said here before, people who go on about charging times are worrying about a non-existent problem. Once use of electric vehicles is routine and widespread, there will be battery swapping points, or even some technology that allows standardised batteries to be dexterously changed by long-armed robots in a fraction of a second while the vehicle drives past hardly even slowing.

Of course that assumes there will be enough juice in the grid to charge the things in the first place. ...
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      But on a cruise ship, as on a large lorry or bus, it's easier to fit filters and scrubbers to greatly reduce the pollution.
      The old man's looking for work and has experience with seamen.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
        Technically it's heat, rather than pressure - although one does cause the other - increased pressure generates heat.

But enough heat will ignite diesel at atmospheric pressures.

Throw a lit match into diesel, it'll probably extinguish the match.

But throw diesel onto an already hot fire - that's a different matter....
        It will also readily ignite if it is "atomized" into a fine mist, even at normal pressures and temperatures.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
          It's not the end of the IC engine anyway as hybrids are not included in the ban...

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...diesel-car-ban
          So you'll still be able to buy a 5.0 V8 as long as it comes with a 1hp electric motor.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Incidently, as I've said here before, people who go on about charging times are worrying about a non-existent problem. Once use of electric vehicles is routine and widespread, there will be battery swapping points, or even some technology that allows standardised batteries to be dexterously changed by long-armed robots in a fraction of a second while the vehicle drives past hardly even slowing.

Of course that assumes there will be enough juice in the grid to charge the things in the first place. ...
            But they don't, particularly on ships as there is no jurisdiction to do so. Southampton claims that 40% of the air pollution comes from unregulated ships.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

But they don't, particularly on ships as there is no jurisdiction to do so. Southampton claims that 40% of the air pollution comes from unregulated ships.
              and there we go the first nuclear cruise ship
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                and there we go the first nuclear cruise ship
                I imagine the navy, given those sailor boy's reputations, might dispute that suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                  Just out of interest, but have you kept track of your increase in electricity bill since going electric? How much of an increase over your normal bill is it, and how does that compare to your usual petrol/diesel bill?

Infrastructure on the street may be one thing, but can the local substations cope with the expected increase in throughput, especially any spike increases at about 10pm when everyone puts their car on charge and goes to bed? Some of them can't handle everyone putting a kettle on during the ads in Britain's Got Talent...

I'm pro-moving-to-electric, but i doubt any government's ability to do joined-up thinking.
                  Not kept track, but I worked out it is less than 3p per mile if I do all my charging at home. Most public chargers are free to use (for now...) so it is less than that. I forget now, but my old car was about 15p per mile (it wasn't efficient)
                  I've also got no road tax and got a £4500 grant towards it plus a free charger thanks to government incentives. These benefits will all reduce as electric cars get more popular. My car worked out cheaper than the non-electric ones I also looked at. Oh - and servicing is a lot cheaper as there is less to go wrong.

You're right about the government, but I think the electricity companies will solve the problem by some sort of smart metering, but I agree that short term it may be a problem.

I also read about electricity companies using some of the power which will be stored in all the electric cars to help deal with peaks in demand. Again, smart metering may allow this - pay you a premium to use power from your car for short periods which you then replenish at a cheaper rate. Lots of problems to get round but I'm sure it will work out.

Al.
                  Back at the coal face

Comment

Originally posted by al_cam View Post
                    Not kept track, but I worked out it is less than 3p per mile if I do all my charging at home. Most public chargers are free to use (for now...) so it is less than that. I forget now, but my old car was about 15p per mile (it wasn't efficient)
                    I've also got no road tax and got a £4500 grant towards it plus a free charger thanks to government incentives. These benefits will all reduce as electric cars get more popular. My car worked out cheaper than the non-electric ones I also looked at. Oh - and servicing is a lot cheaper as there is less to go wrong.

You're right about the government, but I think the electricity companies will solve the problem by some sort of smart metering, but I agree that short term it may be a problem.

I also read about electricity companies using some of the power which will be stored in all the electric cars to help deal with peaks in demand. Again, smart metering may allow this - pay you a premium to use power from your car for short periods which you then replenish at a cheaper rate. Lots of problems to get round but I'm sure it will work out.

Al.
                    And what about the millions' of homes without off-street parking?
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

And what about the millions' of homes without off-street parking?
                      They can get the electric bus.
                      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Working...
                      X