• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working from home, less productive?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My experience of different client managers to this issue can be roughly summed up as:

IT manager: I don't want people working from home because they are only 70% productive as office based workers (the OP's experience);
    FM manager: I don't want people working from home because they are 100% unproductive as office based workers;
    Procurement manager: By all means work from home a couple of days a week - but make sure your laptop is always on (so we can send you the 7am or 11pm email );
    Marketing manager: Do your tech work in the office, your blue sky thinking at home;
    HR manager: Don't bother coming in Mondays or Fridays - none of your stakeholders come in on those days (best gig ever);
    "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

It can also depend on the connectivity to client wrt speed as well as what you're doing. Documentation is better done from home with fewer interruptions but there is the danger of cabin fever setting in.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        It can also depend on the connectivity to client wrt speed as well as what you're doing. Documentation is better done from home with fewer interruptions but there is the danger of cabin fever setting in.
        Yup I always find if I have been wfh that I want to go out to eat in the evening

even if it is just the local dive bar for chicken in a basket!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Aren't you the guy who is running away from the UK pre-Brexit, cause you can't stand it here any longer?
          Oh, I will still be going eventually.

I certainly wouldn't call it running away.
          In fact Brexit or no Brexit makes no difference to me, I had always planned to go and try my luck elsewhere.
          Anyone that has known me for a long time will vouch for that.

However, I'm always a gun for hire, so I can still be bought providing the price is right to make me change my plans.

I actually refused it to start with, nothing definite yet either.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Makes no difference to me. I can do sod all equally well in either location.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              Yup I always find if I have been wfh that I want to go out to eat in the evening

even if it is just the local dive bar for chicken in a basket!
              Walking The Dog (tw) helps prevent cabin fever.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Walking The Dog (tw) helps prevent cabin fever.
                For you or the dog?
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  I defer to your obvious expertise in junk tv.

To be fair I read up about them in The Guardian and The Daily Mail.
                  You're already in the hole. Stop digging.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    For you or the dog?
                    Yes
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      You're already in the hole. Stop digging.
                      I listen to the radio hence the junk threads.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X