• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Training courses for Banking and Finance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training courses for Banking and Finance

Hi everyone, looking for some recommendations on good training courses for general awareness on banking and finance. I'm pretty new to contracting and pretty new to banking so looking for some courses/cpd etc to help build knowledge base! Thanks

No point in being general, just brush up on what you are working on currently.

Comment

Give up now, sector is awash with people with 10+ excellent exp + every qualification under the sun sitting on the bench, we got outsourced at £120 a day for most roles now.

Get into something else

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
        Give up now, sector is awash with people with 10+ excellent exp + every qualification under the sun sitting on the bench, we got outsourced at £120 a day for most roles now.

Get into something else
        ^^ WTS.

Harsh but unfortunately true.

Comment

New to online forums I'd guess as well. Just clicked the first one and posted away. Oh dear.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I remember someone who was new to the city trying everything to pick up background knowledge. He went to a Brokers Christmas party. He only learned what a brokers bottom looked like.

What financial firms want is experience. Its basically to prove you can handle the commute.

Try looking for jobs where previous financial experience not required. And be prepared to work very cheaply.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              I remember someone who was new to the city trying everything to pick up background knowledge. He went to a Brokers Christmas party. He only learned what a brokers bottom looked like.

What does a broken bottom look like?

Comment

Originally posted by jds 1981 View Post
                What does a broken bottom look like?
                Deleted. Original idea not a good one.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post

Get into something else
                  Well I don't know what line of work you do (PM? BA?) But I'm not finding that at all. I work in a retail bank in a team of 4 contractors, I commute from 50 miles away, one drives from 40 miles away, the other two live here during the week then train/fly back at weekends. i.e. there's a skill shortage.

One quote given to the customer if they want this work completed is "If you need people in, you're going to need contractors, and if you need contractors, they're not going to be from round here.."

Back to OP's question, personally I don't thing a qualification would amount to much, better getting your hands dirty and if you can throw a few keywords round in an interview related to what they might need, you should be OK.
                  Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
                  "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by gary666 View Post
                    Hi everyone, looking for some recommendations on good training courses for general awareness on banking and finance. I'm pretty new to contracting and pretty new to banking so looking for some courses/cpd etc to help build knowledge base! Thanks
                    Which area of banking are you targeting? Are you going to front office or are you a back door man? If the latter, I recommend you learn the banking lingo pronto.

Start with "bull" and "bear" markets. When you are in a meeting with bankers, you will note that one person runs the meeting - they call that person the "bull" in the markets. You have to ask the bull permission to speak. If the bull speaks to you directly you must answer "yes, bear" and then follow up with your information. And after you have said your piece, say "stop bear".

I don't know why it's like this, but this is how it works. It's all about the lingo in the banks. I think it comes from the days morse code was used to do intrabank trading in the city.

Comment

Working...
                    X