• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why the EU love in?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Were the Yugoslav countries in the EC/EU during the conflict?
    Wtf has that got to do with anything? It was a European conflict (some would say war) and the EU held some meetings, and that was about it. Either the EU is a globally important and influential organisation which can intervene positively in conflicts on its doorstep, or it isn't and it can't. You seem to be demonstrating the latter is true, and I wouldn't disagree with you.
    Alternatively, are you suggesting that we have the EU to thank for the fact that we aren't at war with, say, France? Since it is impossible to prove a negative in this instance, I'm calling that out as "bollocks", to use the technical terminology.
    If we were to hypothetically declare war on the French, you can be damned sure the UN and NATO would have it all sorted out before the Commissars in Brussels had finished their lunch.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I find some of the insults thrown here on both sides degrading and pointless and one of the reasons for not getting involved. Mostly its a playground (I know it's general) full of immature responses to immature point scoring loaded questions on both sides. There has been no serious debate where arguments are countered and thought through, although I would have to say the remainers have put forward more evidence to support their arguments.

On the point of NATO, I agree with the brexiters that this has prevented more conflict in Europe rather than the EU, but it is a combination of the two that has probably made it more of a success (oh and being able to nuke people back to the stone age!). But the comment that an attack on one is an attack on all has been tested and found wanting at least once. Britain, a NATO member was attacked by Argentina in the Falklands and no overt support from other NATO members was provided.
      Beer
      is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        I think
        You KEEP saying that, yet there is scant evidence to support the notion.

But keep it coming, it is comedy gold.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I voted remain but I'm not so sure having considered what the EU has done to Greece and Spain.

Regarding freedom of movement, if your skills are in demand (I'm guessing most contractor's are) you can move anywhere in the world.

Comment

There has been no serious debate where arguments are countered and thought through
            You've got that right, you are wasting your time posting here. If anyone on either side advances any serious argument it is often not countered with any facts, it is just ignored and the one line abuse just flows past it.

At least the brexiter posts are not usually abusive, most of the cretin, thick as mince, etc. comes from the other side.

PS Meant brexiter! Bah!
            Last edited by xoggoth; 13 July 2017, 16:26.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

At least the remainer posts are not usually abusive, most of the cretin, thick as mince, etc. comes from the other side.
              Yes completely agree. That's what I keep saying.
              Last edited by sasguru; 13 July 2017, 16:22.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Yes completely agree.
                Thought you might, but you're still a cretin.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  At least the remainer posts are not usually abusive, most of the cretin, thick as mince, etc. comes from the other side.
                  Have to disagree there Xog.

It's well known that both those insults are used almost exclusively, and often, by of one the biggest arch Remainers on CUK!

(unless you meant the Brexiter posts are not usually abusive, which I think is much nearer the truth).
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Coalman View Post
                    I find some of the insults thrown here on both sides degrading and pointless and one of the reasons for not getting involved. Mostly its a playground (I know it's general) full of immature responses to immature point scoring loaded questions on both sides. There has been no serious debate where arguments are countered and thought through, although I would have to say the remainers have put forward more evidence to support their arguments.

On the point of NATO, I agree with the brexiters that this has prevented more conflict in Europe rather than the EU, but it is a combination of the two that has probably made it more of a success (oh and being able to nuke people back to the stone age!). But the comment that an attack on one is an attack on all has been tested and found wanting at least once. Britain, a NATO member was attacked by Argentina in the Falklands and no overt support from other NATO members was provided.
                    Maybe because we did not need it.....

Comment

unless you meant the Brexiter posts are not usually abusive, which I think is much nearer the truth
                      Yep. Senile moment.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X