• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why the EU love in?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Keeping the peace requires managing the trade between member states. Maintaining the flow of cooperation between member states. That's nothing to do with NATO.

NATO takes care of perceived threats from outside Europe. The EU maintains the peace from internal threats.
    NATO has an agreement that an attack on one of it's members is an attack on all. Fair bit of Europe are members.

NATO has stopped many countries arming in Europe that otherwise might have armed and triggered an arms race in response to external threats (like Russia).

I would argue that NATO has enabled integration and trade in Europe.

I'm also guessing that France and Britain having nuclear weapons has made war between us sound stupidly ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      If the UK admits that it is wrong, grovels for forgiveness and allows the ECJ to rule over it I think there is a good chance of coming to some sort of arrangement on the debt, in the same way Germany's debt was forgiven.

I can well imagine that if strident postwar German leaders had suggested that the UK and US could "whistle" for their debt repayments that they might not have been so forgiving.
      Or you could say that if the EU had not just made up figures of 60, 80, 100 billion and had put some thought into this then it may have got a better reaction.

Comment

I think we should have a hard Brexit now. The more pain the better.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

I agree with sasguru, Britain needs a Hard Brexit, a very Hard Brexit.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            And the above posts show what happens when you ask a loaded question - those who support your view choose to reply with lies/further spin, trying to discredit any answers even if they aren't given.
            It's people like that which have given the Brexit camp such a bad reputation. Those who are actually able to argue points, without name calling or just laughing rather than thinking, they don't jump into threads like this with their vitriol.

This forum is Contractor UK. I am a contractor. I live in the UK. I pay taxes in the UK. Liars on here frequently claim that I live abroad, that I don't pay taxes, etc.
            I'm a contractor from the UK. Those who claim I am not, are they currently contractors?
            Actually WTFH you weren't in my mind when I mentioned the expats
            a. because you clearly are not one.
            b. Your posts tend to make sense and are normally worth reading.

If you want we to include you in the same basket case as Spooter, AssSnob (Not yet an expat but not from this planet) a Drunken NAT or miffed Barmy then fine I will include you but I do think you are better than that.

However most of us are in the top 10% earnings or wealth and we are damn lucky to be so. Yes we may have made sacrifices but there are people who worked harder & longer but didn't get lucky. Immigration and tax evoidance by multinationals is harming them on daily basis. We don't get to see it in our nice lives.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
              The fact that there has been no war between the UK, France, Germany, Holland, Italy and Spain (in every possible combination and coalition) in a period of 71 years is almost unprecedented for and most is thanks to the EU

Yes there will be trade even after the hardest of Brexits without any deal, but things will be a lot more expensive for the UK whilst the other 23 countries can trade freely without taxes and have great trade deals with loads of other countries. It's the single braincelled brexit voters who will feel the impact the hardest as they will be losing their jobs the first, but at least they have their "freedom" whatever it means, but on the dole, which will be reduced as well as there won't be any Polish workers anymore to pay their taxes to fund the Brexiteer's doles
              what a pratt you are and a racist as well.

You don't think the fact that most of the serious players could turn their opponents cities into glass in 10 minutes had anything to do with it?
              NATO may have played a part?
              Also most of the countries converted to democracies without a ruling monarchy, governments are much better at avoiding war, they want to be reelected.

Also we all had run out of energy after millions were sacrificed in both world wars. These were the first wars where advanced technology ensured one side could totally wipe out entire battalions without significant losses themselves there was a chance the Generals could be left without an army to protect them.

I would suggest elections, killing technology, battlefield medicine and better rations had far more effect than the EU would even if they actually bothered to get involved.

It does seem there were rather a lot of conflicts in Europe that the Common Market EU did sod all about in these years. They had no involvement in the troubles, Cod wars etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...icts_in_Europe

please explain why the EU didn't prevent these? And demonstrate what they proactively did to prevent nascent wars.

If not stop posting tripe.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                what a pratt you are and a racist as well.

You don't think the fact that most of the serious players could turn their opponents cities into glass in 10 minutes had anything to do with it?
                NATO may have played a part?
                Also most of the countries converted to democracies without a ruling monarchy, governments are much better at avoiding war, they want to be reelected.

Also we all had run out of energy after millions were sacrificed in both world wars. These were the first wars where advanced technology ensured one side could totally wipe out entire battalions without significant losses themselves there was a chance the Generals could be left without an army to protect them.

I would suggest elections, killing technology, battlefield medicine and better rations had far more effect than the EU would even if they actually bothered to get involved.

It does seem there were rather a lot of conflicts in Europe that the Common Market EU did sod all about in these years. They had no involvement in the troubles, Cod wars etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...icts_in_Europe

please explain why the EU didn't prevent these? And demonstrate what they proactively did to prevent nascent wars.

If not stop posting tripe.

You proof my point by posting a link to a wikipedia article that says no wars have taken place between countries that are inside the EU. Maybe your braincell is not working today?

Comment

The fact that there has been no war between the UK, France, Germany, Holland, Italy and Spain (in every possible combination and coalition) in a period of 71 years is almost unprecedented for and most is thanks to the EU.
                  Give me strength. It's thanks to NATO. The EU have been singularly and spectacularly useless (or should that be silent and invisible) in every European conflict in memory. Particularly "Yugoslavia".
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    Give me strength. It's thanks to NATO. The EU have been singularly and spectacularly useless (or should that be silent and invisible) in every European conflict in memory. Particularly "Yugoslavia".
                    Were the Yugoslav countries in the EC/EU during the conflict?

Comment

You proof my point by posting a link to a wikipedia article that says no wars have taken place between countries that are inside the EU. Maybe your braincell is not working today?
                      proof requires cause & effect. There is a fact that no actual wars have occurred between the countries you listed. You believe this is something to do with the EU but we don't.

EU has done nothing to prevent such wars so there is no link. The EU has also failed to do anything to prevent war in Europe amongst its members which was one of the reasons it was founded not to stop wars amongst a few named countries you picked because no wars have happened. If you note I mentioned 'The Troubles' & the Cod war both between Britain and other EU members the EU apparently assisted in neither.

Other posters & I have expounded that there night be other causes but you choose to ignore them, is your name chicken licken?

Comment

Working...
                      X