• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Careful when you drive too close to that cyclist

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    Some should plain & simple not be allowed on the roads

This morning's effort was the cyclist not even realising there was a red light & going straight over, causing the bus to slam on brakes
    & cyclist did not even realise!
    I guess the bus driver didn't want to waste time reporting an accident. AS I've been told if they have a choice of risking passengers or a person on the road to hit the person on the road.

Mandatory test & insurance would (I hope) make them think a bit more
    As anyone can cycle on the road - which they do in my area from kids age 6 to people aged 96* - and children cannot enter in to contracts you cannot make them have insurance as that's a contract.

Incidentally the kids under 16 are more likely to have been tested than the adults as they do bikeability at school. If they are out with their parents the kids tend to take proper road positions, not go the wrong way down one way streets, not jump lights etc. The students tend to be the idiots - cycling while on the phone,with headphones, not using lights etc.

*Well a couple of the old men look like they are 96.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Ahh but then the bus driver would at best have nightmares & at worst go to prison
      I am not suggesting the bus driver do it deliberately. Just better if it was too late to swerve.

Such things happen. These days there are so many cameras around the truth is going to come out.

Of course its not just cyclists who do this. I regularly see pedestrians and motorcyclists try to get themselves killed by buses.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        *Well a couple of the old men look like they are 96.
        Thanks! I thought I didn't look a day over 95.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          I am not suggesting the bus driver do it deliberately. Just better if it was too late to swerve.

Such things happen. These days there are so many cameras around the truth is going to come out.

Of course its not just cyclists who do this. I regularly see pedestrians and motorcyclists try to get themselves killed by buses.
          And some pedestrians do.

I don't think I will ever forget seeing a lorry doing an emergency stop due to some bloke - and he wasn't a youth - crossing the road in front of it.

Comment

Stagecoach bus driver gives V-sign to para-cyclist | Daily Mail Online

Thankfully the daily mail is moderating the comments in advance.....

Comment

Stagecoach bus driver gives V-sign to para-cyclist | Daily Mail Online

Thankfully the daily mail is moderating the comments in advance.....
              Some idiot put he shouldn't be training on the road...

Comment

First motorist prosecuted for driving too close to cyclist | Daily Mail Online

Having seen this footage I think the cyclist is partly at fault. In narrow lanes cyclists should cycle in the middle of the lane. There are adverts on LOndon buses emphasizing this.
                There should certainly be more encouragement of cyclists riding defensively, but I'm not sure how that puts any of the blame for being overtaken too closely on the cyclist, especially when you bear in mind that a) many cyclists aren't even aware of this advice and b) many motorists think that cyclists should be in the gutter and tend to get a get pissed off when cyclists take a strong position, sometimes leading to road rage or punishment passes.

The fact that the driver couldn't see what he had done wrong, even after he saw the video, says all you need to know about the driver. He couldn't give a toss. One slip by the cyclist as he went over or around that drain cover and he would have been under the lorry's wheels. The reality is the other lane was fully of traffic and the lorry driver could not be arsed to wait for a safe place to overtake. His claim that the cyclist "sped up" and "undertook" him is laughable.
                Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 14 July 2017, 13:40.

Comment

If there's a bicycle path next to the road and they cycle on the main road, I refuse to give them a lot of space at all. Stupid arrogant pedantic idiots especially those on a "lay down" bicycle with a kids flag on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    If there's a bicycle path next to the road and they cycle on the main road, I refuse to give them a lot of space at all. Stupid arrogant pedantic idiots especially those on a "lay down" bicycle with a kids flag on it.
                    Sometimes the start of cycle paths is so badly sign posted you can't get on to the path in time. On a few of these paths due to the route they take if you miss the start you can't get on to them later.

Other times the fact the paths are shared use is not very clear even though the path is empty.

Yes I'm sad while stuck in traffic jams I studied the cycle paths near me to find out why some cyclists use the road including a dual carriageway rather than paths. I tend to have to cycle on the roads as the paths don't go where I want to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                      If there's a bicycle path next to the road and they cycle on the main road
                      Then you're a prick. Nobody has to use a cycle path and if they aren't being used its normally because they are tulip, for a number of different reasons.

Comment

Working...
                      X