• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Tories would be mad to call an election now

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The final straw, May probably to be replaced

She's done it again.

Looks like a new leader such as Ruth Davidson or Philip Hammond will be taking over, which is why the Tory whips are all over the Lib Dems.

We know what that means
    It's ideal really for the Tories. She's been given a chance, and meanwhile they've had a couple of weeks to get their tulip together and stitch something up with the DUP. And now they have an excuse to ditch her. It's almost as if somebody deliberately advised her there were genuine security concerns around visiting North Kensington.

Comment

Posters on Guido's Blog have been insisting for a while now that the Tories were out to deliberately throw the election and let Labour be lumbered with Brexit.

I thought they were fully fledged tin hat conspiracy nutters, but now I'm not so sure! (Still seems somewhat implausible though - Never attribute to deviousness what can be put down to incompetence!)
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        I thought they were fully fledged tin hat conspiracy nutters, but now I'm not so sure! (Still seems somewhat implausible though - Never attribute to deviousness what can be put down to incompetence!)
        Implausible - yes - but they do seem to be doing everything they can to give that impression.

Comment

You Remainers seem to be having a merry old time, chortling at the present (admittedly chaotic looking) situation.

But make the most of your little moment of fun, because come the next election if a soft Brexit or even no Brexit is on the cards then UKIP voters, both Tory and Labour, will be back with a vengeance (literally!)
          About half the country will be feeling quite so hard done by?

I doubt it. Of the 52%, there will be a percentage who just want some minor change; such as the people who campaigned purely on the fishing quotas. This 52% was never a solid movement, whereas the status quo, by definition, is a single entity campaigning for 'as it is'.

In such situations the former can rarely pull through unless they unify - but much like religion, there is no correct way of exit, which should be a cause for concern.

You likely work in IT. There are many ways to skin a cat. Leaving the EU has no set universal definition.

Comment

I wonder how many people ever change which party they vote for?

And so in reality you may have actually only a small number of voters (comparatively) who are actually making any difference.

If you get what I mean?

Comment

Posters on Guido's Blog have been insisting for a while now that the Tories were out to deliberately throw the election and let Labour be lumbered with Brexit.

Lets put it this way most Conservatives (and Labour politicians) know Brexit is a disaster but they have no choice but to go along with it until the disaster becomes obvious to your average UKIP supporter down the Social Club.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

And so in reality you may have actually only a small number of voters (comparatively) who are actually making any difference.

If you get what I mean?
                Even then, it's only the ones in marginals.

I voted Labour for the first time since '92, and am registered in a Tory / Labour marginal that was a Labour gain. Nice to feel that my vote counted for once.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  Even then, it's only the ones in marginals.

I voted Labour for the first time since '92, and am registered in a Tory / Labour marginal that was a Labour gain. Nice to feel that my vote counted for once.
                  Mine too

Have to agree with that smug git, Portillo. She lacks any emotional intelligence. When she turned up to the hospital today, stone faced, she clearly wanted to avoid any possibility of an unscheduled encounter with an unscreened member of the public. She's an administrator, not a politician, and a bad one at that. However, she is absolutely serving a purpose while Boris attempts (and fails miserably) to get his act together. The Tories are tolerating her for now.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

If you get what I mean?
                    Yes but in the end although they're the ones that change the outcome they're still reflecting the view of the whole of the country.

The Tories got the most votes and the highest number of seats. That has always been the case that the party with the most votes gets the most seats.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                      Mine too

Have to agree with that smug git, Portillo. She lacks any emotional intelligence. When she turned up to the hospital today, stone faced, she clearly wanted to avoid any possibility of an unscheduled encounter with an unscreened member of the public. She's an administrator, not a politician, and a bad one at that. However, she is absolutely serving a purpose while Boris attempts (and fails miserably) to get his act together. The Tories are tolerating her for now.
                      indeed, good old Boris, the eternal pretender

Last edited by BlasterBates; 16 June 2017, 14:43.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X