• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie Role - Apply direct or through Agent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permie Role - Apply direct or through Agent?

I am toying with the idea of taking a permie role close to home, just to deal with bench period and till the job market recovers.

These roles are advertised directly on the company website and promoted through multiple agents.

Just wanted to know your opinions on which route will be economically beneficial for me - going through agent or apply directly?

If you're a good negotiator then going direct saves the company money so potentially raising your salary. However agents get commission so they'll be batting very hard on your behalf, i.e. you won't necessarily get a higher salary by cutting out the agent. If you are a "tough cookie" then I would go direct, if you don't like negotiating go with the agent.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

If you have any contacts within the company, it might be worth speaking with them.

If they do have a generous referral scheme, you can look at sharing any payout with your contact

Comment

Go direct for perm roles if you can, I've been lowballed far too many times via agents and they haven't done enough about it. Also been stitched up and left without interview expenses numerous times when an agent has been involved.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          agents get commission so they'll be batting very hard on your behalf

Try direct first and foremost.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            WHS.

They get something like 25% of your first year's salary. That's a big extra cost for the employer. You'll be both more likely to get the job and more likely to get more if you go direct.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              They get something like 25% of your first year's salary.
              Upfront for the whole year too!

We had one such guy quit in a couple of months - just outside limit when we could "claw" back some of that cost.

NO AGENCIES now, more or less

It's BS really - they should be getting fee paid monthly over period of a year, so that at least the person works for a year.

Comment

Upfront for the whole year too!

We had one such guy quit in a couple of months - just outside limit when we could "claw" back some of that cost.

NO AGENCIES now, more or less

It's BS really - they should be getting fee paid monthly over period of a year, so that at least the person works for a year.
                Well you didn't tell any of us you were hiring!
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Well you didn't tell any of us you were hiring!
                  Atw only recruits permanent staff and has standards...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Try direct first and foremost.
                    Many years ago I went for a job and asked the agent for x which was more than I was earning and he said that's too low you should get x + quite a lot more, and got it.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X