• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kicking off on London Bridge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    What has immigration got to do with anything, as almost all of the terrorsits have been British born, is there a UKIP version of Godwin's Law
    The normal response on here is that we should reduce immigration, so I thought I'd let the "reduce immigration" brigade know that their beloved Tory party have not reduced immigration, but have reduced the number of police.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The killers of Lee Rigby were converts, so was the Westminster attacker
      Yes, but both of ethnic minority background and that is a factor, as it has been in other cases, the Shoe Bomber etc. Someone is more likely to feel resentful of British society, more willing to act against it, if they do not feel part of it. Some people, of all ethnicities, will always blame others for their own problems but we don't hand white British failures a ready excuse by blaming everything on discrimination.

Societies with groups of deeply different views, who do not interact, have never worked. We need to look at the realities of human nature and human societies and, above all, the realities of history and not be driven by idealistic views.

The fact that racism keeps being discussed decade after decade proves there are no easy solutions. Far better to seek a world where we all control our own nations as we would like to and let others do the same.
      Last edited by xoggoth; 4 June 2017, 09:42.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Yes, but both of ethnic minority background and that is a factor, as it has been in other cases, the Shoe Bomber etc. Someone is more likely to feel resentful of British society, more willing to act against it, if they do not feel part of it. Some people, of all ethnicities, will always blame others for their own problems but we don't hand white British failures a ready excuse by blaming everything on discrimination.

Societies with groups of deeply different views, who do not interact, have never worked. We need to look at the realities of human nature and human societies and, above all, the realities of history and not be driven by idealistic views.

The fact that racism keeps being discussed decade after decade proves there are no easy solutions. Far better to seek a world where we all control our own nations as we would like to and let others do the same.
        Both the Westminster attacker and Shoe bomber had a white British mother.

Guess you better lock up your daughters' in case they procreate with men of a darker skin tone.....
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Maybe there should be a change in the law to change the statues of immigrant families and their children.
          Brexit law is already sending British born of Polish descent packing.

I suggest not starting wars in countries we've no business as being more effective.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            i suggest not starting wars in countries we've no business as being more effective.
            +1

wsss

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Both the Westminster attacker and Shoe bomber had a white British mother.

Guess you better lock up your daughters' in case they procreate with men of a darker skin tone.....
              Not quite a typically English background though....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Reid

Reid was born in Bromley, Kent,[2] to Lesley Hughes, who was of white English descent, and Colvin Robin Reid, a man of mixed race whose father was a Jamaican immigrant.[3] When Reid was born, his father, a career criminal, was in prison for stealing a car.[3] Reid left school at age 16, becoming a petty crook who was in and out of jail, the first time for mugging an elderly person.[3] He began writing graffiti under the name "Enrol with FRF crew",[4][5] and ultimately accumulated more than 10 convictions for crimes against persons and property.[6] He served sentences at the Feltham Young Offenders Institution[7] and at the Blundeston Prison.[8]

His father advised him to convert to Islam, telling him that Muslims were more egalitarian and they got better food in prison. The next time Reid was incarcerated (in 1995 for petty theft), he converted.[3][9][10]

Islamic radicalisation[edit]
              Upon his release from prison in 1996,[8] he joined the Brixton Mosque.[9][11] He later began attending the Finsbury Park Mosque in North London headed at that time by the anti-American cleric Abu Hamza al-Masri and described as "the heart of the extremist Islamic culture" in Britain.[3][9] By 1998 Reid was voicing extremist views,[3] and may have fallen under the sway of "terrorist talent spotters and handlers" allied with Al Qaeda.[9]

He spent 1999 and 2000 in Pakistan and trained at a terrorist camp in Afghanistan, according to several informants.[3] He may also have attended an anti-American religious training centre in Lahore as a follower of Mubarak Ali Gilani.[12]

After his return to Britain, Reid worked to obtain duplicate passports from British government consulates abroad. He lived and travelled in several places in Europe, communicating via an address in Peshawar, Pakistan,[3] in July 2001, Reid flew to Israel.[9]
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I suggest not starting wars in countries we've no business as being more effective.
                Perhaps not bailing out before the job is properly finished might be more effective?
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  Not quite a typically English background though....
                  You have nicely pointed out prison is a problem though the point I was making was different.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Unless you can invent a time-machine we are, where we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                      Manchester benefit concert today should now be a prime target for terrorists, I wouldn't send my children there
                      Was there on 22-May, will be there tonight with my daughter.

IMHO attacks become more likely once time has passed and guard has dropped. Of course, there's no rule book so what do I know but I'm not going to hide under a rock with my fingers crossed.
                      Gronda Gronda

Comment

Working...
                      X