• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 50 year old programmer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    Remember pulling up at some traffic lights in my Merc convertible and there was a similar family in a similar smaller/older car. I felt quite ashamed sat there with the roof down. Had the opposite effect of what I thought having a car like that would have. Instead of the perceived feeling of envy and respect, I would imagine they felt I was a total ******. And I was. These days I drive a used 6 year old motor.
    When I see older men in such cars I think they have problems with one of their body parts. Oddly now in my area if you are that well off as a guy you are better being one of those guys who over exercises or has an expensive motorbike as people don't think you so much of a w*nker. Though some male cyclists have started to fall into the car trap with cost of their bike....
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Beeep beeep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppppppp

The thread died a sad death.
      No... we have the technology... we can save it!
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        When I see older men in such cars I think they have problems with one of their body parts. Oddly now in my area if you are that well off as a guy you are better being one of those guys who over exercises or has an expensive motorbike as people don't think you so much of a w*nker. Though some male cyclists have started to fall into the car trap with cost of their bike....
        Three clichés in one paragraph.

The great thing about clichés is they are so substitutable:

When I see older women in such cars, I think they have problems with one of their body parts. Oddly now in my area if you are that well off as a gal you are better being one of those gals who over exercises or has an expensive motorbike as people don't think you so much of a w*nker. Though some female cyclists have started to fall into the car trap with cost of their bike....
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

Depends on the car. If it's a Porsche or BMW, I'm less than forgiving. If it's a Maserati or Aston Martin, I am envious of the car and want to be in it. If it's a Ferrari, Lambo, Bugatti, etc, then I just think "oh, an Arab"

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
            Three clichés in one paragraph.

The great thing about clichés is they are so substitutable:

When I see older women in such cars, I think they have problems with one of their body parts. Oddly now in my area if you are that well off as a gal you are better being one of those gals who over exercises or has an expensive motorbike as people don't think you so much of a w*nker. Though some female cyclists have started to fall into the car trap with cost of their bike....
            I'm afraid that doesn't work because you don't see older women looking ridiculous in a convertible or riding a motor bike.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Depends on the car. If it's a Porsche or BMW, I'm less than forgiving. If it's a Maserati or Aston Martin, I am envious of the car and want to be in it. If it's a Ferrari, Lambo, Bugatti, etc, then I just think "oh, an Arab"
              What some women fail to realise is that most boys grow up with a passion for cars or technology or something along those lines. Women grow up with dreams of the perfect (expensive) wedding day and usually don't think twice about spending the £20k/£50k/100k on the "most special day of their lives"

But most men can't afford nice cars for much of their lives and so they do the sensible thing like own a cheaper car first and then perhaps a family-friendly car next. Eventually when they are done with some of life's responsibilities, and perhaps have gone up the career/business ladder then they can afford a reasonably nice sports car. And they understand that they've done it when they've dealt with most other things life threw at them - mortgage, marriage, kids, divorce whatever.

I remember being a kid and playing with the Matchbox toy Corvettes or TransAms etc - and you know what, I would love to have a real one just for fun now. I won't get one, because I'm too sensible and boring, but I have got a car that is as fast as most supercars and can fit my family in and looks relatively normal. I'd still love to get a 911, Maserati GranTurismo, Nissan GTR or something like that, before I'm too old to enjoy it.

So you think guys in their 20s with flash cars are the real deal. Why? They don't have the mentality to drive them safely and in most cases they aren't young successful high-fliers: they're just driving daddy's car.

But I guess it's easy for some to judge others by how they look, where they live or what they drive.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                I'm afraid that doesn't work because you don't see older women looking ridiculous in a convertible or riding a motor bike.

Sales of convertible cars soar among women over 50 | Daily Mail Online

And

http://www.thevog.net/attachments/gr...ycle-jpg.73161

nomadd liked this post

Comment

I was in London a few months back and the number of ridiculous looking men on motorbikes or in open top cars out numbered the women by about 30 to 0.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    I was in London a few months back and the number of ridiculous looking men on motorbikes or in open top cars out numbered the women by about 30 to 0.

I've been in London 30 years and haven't noticed any of this.

Then again, I don't tend to roam the streets looking for men...

nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                      I've been in London 30 years and haven't noticed any of this.

Then again, I don't tend to roam the streets looking for men...

There was a "motorbike regatta", where hundreds of blokes dressed up in 30-40's dapper gear, rode into town on their vintage motor bikes.

Admittedly some of them didn't look ridiculous, but a lot of them did.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X