• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 50 year old programmer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 50 year old programmer

Only a few months away now. I always swore I'd be retired by 50 but it's not looking likely. Still need the money, but my god am I losing the will. The thought of going through the motions for that next contract, being interviewed by people in their 30's (or less), fills me with dread, as does sitting down pair-programming with somebody young enough to be my son or daughter. Anybody else been through this?

Meet the 56 year old tester with 6 years still left on his mortgage...I know the feeling
    Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
      Meet the 56 year old tester with 6 years still left on his mortgage...I know the feeling
      I've got TWO mortgages!

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
        I've got TWO mortgages!
        Damn, I had no sympathy, now my heart bleeds!

Comment

Only a few months away now. I always swore I'd be retired by 50 but it's not looking likely. Still need the money, but my god am I losing the will. The thought of going through the motions for that next contract, being interviewed by people in their 30's (or less), fills me with dread, as does sitting down pair-programming with somebody young enough to be my son or daughter. Anybody else been through this?
          Why?

What is it that fills you with dread?

What do you actually feel about working?

You have to accept that as a 50 something person the majority of people you work with will be younger - and therefore some of these people who are more senior to you will be younger.

Is it simply the age of people you will be working with which bothers you?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            Why?

You have to accept that as a 50 something person the majority of people you work with will be younger - and therefore some of these people who are more senior to you will be younger.

I guess I feel like John Terry does at Chelsea right now! Past it. Legs have gone.

Comment

I guess I feel like John Terry does at Chelsea right now!
              Are you sha*ing all your co-workers partners?

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
                Are you sha*ing all your co-workers partners?
                No. It's not just coding that you lose the appetite for at 50!

Comment

Closer to 60 than to 55, haven't lost any of the appetites you mention. Actually could retire now but having too much fun and retirement will be better if I keep making money a little longer. Also helping my kids to get professionally entrenched, and helping a couple retired guys to get a few hours here and there to keep from calcifying. Good for them, good for me, there's a lot of satisfaction in that.

To each his own. I like my work. Helps that I'm still smarter than all the kids even though I've forgotten 3/4 of what I once knew. Ego-centric enough to like blowing them away every once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    Why?

Maybe it's the complete disconnect between millennials and somebody in their fifties?

I'm completely with the op on this one. For me it's more the whole Agile thing - 3 hour long meetings in which I have to have an active role after a 2 hour commute and 3 hours sleep.

I've avoided pair programming so far but I do enquire about it before accepting a role because pp in its purest form would be positively misery inducing. I once worked with a guy who told me at his previous client everything was 100% paired. Not only that, each day you would be moved to a completely different user story.

Shudder....

Comment

Working...
                    X