• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 50 year old programmer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    I'm jealous, have they got any jobs going

I'd love to work in a fish and chip shop, I'd eat everything and the batter bits that they throw away :-)

Do you get free fish and chips ?

Milan
    Scraps? In civilized lands, they don't throw them away.

Comment

The kids are 8 and 6. They don't get pocket money, but if they want money, they can have cleaning tasks around the house (tidying their own room is expected for no payment).

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        At the end of the day the only thing you can really give your kids is an education. Lots of love, A moral Framework, a repertoire of awful jokes and mental torment over your singing

FTFY.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
          oh dear what has this come to.

You know what I contracted in Belgium 15 years ago, at that time I had been contracting 3 years, and didn't own a car. I took the bus every day to the client site, a 40 minutes bus ride. My contractor colleagues used to tease me, why didn't I have a car and why didn't I have something shiny like them, well the reason was, I was saving every penny to pay for my house in cash as I always operated with the approach that contracting will end next year (it never did) and I would live like on a permy salary and bank the rest

At the client site, (I was 29 at the time) there was a security guard, everybody walked past him with their noses in the air, I used to say hello and sometimes stop and talk to him. He once said to me, look at me, I am 55 and I am a security guard. He said, 20 years back, he was a captain of the big tanker boats on the canals for Shell, and owned a brand new Jaguar, he said look at me now - I showed sympathy through my expressions but inside, I swore to myself, this is absolutely the example I don't want to become.

I sense we have a few of those security guards in this thread.

Milan.
          Security guard sounds a good gig, no stress, sitting down most of the day, uniform provided. Though from the sounds of it you have to be nice to a billy no mates that has latched onto you.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            The kids are 8 and 6. They don't get pocket money, but if they want money, they can have cleaning tasks around the house (tidying their own room is expected for no payment).
            Have they contacted social services yet? Or just whining about it on facebook?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Have they contacted social services yet? Or just whining about it on facebook?
              They appreciate the sense of responsibility it has given them.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                Security guard sounds a good gig, no stress, sitting down most of the day, uniform provided. Though from the sounds of it you have to be nice to a billy no mates that has latched onto you.
                ha ha good one :-))

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  EldestElvis works in the chip shop.
                  FTFY

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Lots of depression on this thread, only (!) 47 at the mo

TBH I have had a great time contracting, I know I have both earned and learnt a hell of a lot more than a permie and I have had nearly 4 years off in 17, travelling etc.

Basically when I have had enough I go and do something more interesting instead for a while.

It also helps if you aim for things rather than just blindly working for the sake of it.
                    Buying a decent sized house and another year off travelling are currently mine.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Interesting thread and I share most of the sentiments. I have never loved working in IT but have enjoyed working with some of the people, gigs etc on the way.
                      I also understand feeling bad about it cos many many people would swap for the cash and relatively easy life.
                      Because of this I have always had an eye on being able to bail, initially from a bad gig, living away etc and now to be able to have time off e.g. summers.
                      It's something hard to imagine if you are 30 and really enjoying it but you might get sick of the BS at 50, so why not get some stashed just in case/work on plan B.
                      Worst thing that happens is you are set up for life/can blow it on a Mclaren...

Currently have arranged a day off each week and wfh another, doesn't half break the week up and it is working very well for me atm.

Good luck all

Comment

Working...
                      X