• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    The mining rig would be pumping this out constantly 24x7.
    So that's waste 2/3 of the time then, especially in hot summer.

You are trying to put lipstick on a pig instead of using an apple.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I doubt it puts out more heat than a standard radiator. Go read up on your physics about convection and so on.
    You might need one in every room which would be an interesting look.
    You're kidding right?

3.4kW is nearly 12,000 btu, which would be a whopping radiator. And there is another difference. The mining rig would be pumping this out constantly 24x7.

Obviously, it would be a single heat source, making it difficult to heat an entire house. However, some people, in smaller homes, manage with just a log burner and a big enough rig could definitely replace one of those.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If only this were true, it would make my day.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    It's you suggested a localised heat source was a problem, when that's how UK houses have been heated for about a century.

One could probably install them in floors/ceilings anyway, they even have fans to provide vented heating
    Before I block you forever, I'd like just to say that are the biggest doodard on here, and that says a lot given how huge competition is for the COTY title.

ta ta tard

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

It wasn’t me who was suggesting this idiotic idea
    It's you suggested a localised heat source was a problem, when that's how UK houses have been heated for about a century.

One could probably install them in floors/ceilings anyway, they even have fans to provide vented heating

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I doubt it puts out more heat than a standard radiator. Go read up on your physics about convection and so on.
    It wasn’t me who was suggesting this idiotic idea

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Free, heavily concentrated heat, in your house

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    If you hold the BTC you mine it will be worth more than $33k over time so could be profitable in the long run
    In a million years?

If you are so sure that’s the case why not just buy it on the “exchange”?

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

I just did a quick calc using the calculator on this site:

https://www.buybitcoinworldwide.com/mining/hardware

Rig (ASIC): Whatsminer m30s+
    Price: $2,500.
    Electricity consumption: 3.4kWh
    Hash power (TH/s): 100
    BTC price: $33k
    Electricity cost per kWh: $0.30 (approx 20p)

Running 24x7, this generates $8,800/year in BTC. But it consumes $8,800/year in electricity. In other words, there's no profit and it just breaks even. However, that means you're getting 3.4kWh of free electric heating.

The other thing I'd need to check is how noisy (dB) the fans are in them. It would be a non-starter if they sound like a jet engine.
    If you hold the BTC you mine it will be worth more than $33k over time so could be profitable in the long run

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Free, heavily concentrated heat, in your house - you have to sleep next to a machine whose coolers are designed to deal with a couple of kwatt worth of energy - like a major data center server.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X