• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Longest train commute/ train in south east.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longest train commute/ train in south east.

Now I hate driving (and getting stuck in traffic) and quite like it on a train. (IF you can get a seat and preferably no-one sitting next to you).

Been doing a 45-50 train each way for last two years. Train generally about 40% full. I sleep, read books, watch video, listen to music.

Considering a role in London. 1hr 45 by train. Pricing is nuts - £216 for a one off return or £234 for a weekly season. I think every day would be bit mad but it might be worth doing the trek home once/twice a week.

Anyone do similar? Am I living in a fantasy world though expecting trains into/out of london at peak times to be not rammed full?

Bugger driving though - even google maps is telling me up to 4 hours for the drive in the morning...
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

I left the house at 4:30 this morning to get the 5:05 train from Manchester to London Euston. I'll stay over 3 nights and head home on Thursday evening, working from home on Friday. I know someone who commutes from Macclesfield to London daily but his company provide him with a first class season ticket (he's a perm, NLUK, don't have a coronary!). No chance I could/would bank roll a daily commute of that magnitude and if you're not doing first class I would imagine it would get too much for you after a while. Don't forget to including getting from Paddington(?) to wherever the London office of your client is in your commute.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      I left the house at 4:30 this morning to get the 5:05 train from Manchester to London Euston. I'll stay over 3 nights and head home on Thursday evening, working from home on Friday. I know someone who commutes from Macclesfield to London daily but his company provide him with a first class season ticket (he's a perm, NLUK, don't have a coronary!). No chance I could/would bank roll a daily commute of that magnitude and if you're not doing first class I would imagine it would get too much for you after a while. Don't forget to including getting from Paddington(?) to wherever the London office of your client is in your commute.
      530am train is cheaper for me. Its any trains after that. Like I said though one day = £216, week = £234.

I would agree though every day is nuts. How long from manchester- london?
      Its under 2 hours for me - roll on electrification though - its going to cut a lot off this I hear.

Client is earls court area so not too bad.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        530am train is cheaper for me. Its any trains after that. Like I said though one day = £216, week = £234.

Its under 2 hours for me - roll on electrification though - its going to cut a lot off this I hear.

2h23m for the 5:05, the general time is 2h08m for that run though; the 5:05 stops at 3 more stations than the others.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Its only a one tube ride from Paddington to Earls Court. However that can take a long time and be very crowded and stressful.

However I can't see a better way of doing the whole journey.

Comment

Just get an AirBnB in West London and then tube it to Earls Court, that way you can drive down early in the morning and miss most of the traffic.
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

It depends on the train line and working arrangements. I have done a similar commute, n the line into Marylebone, which is very civilised with what looks like refurbished Intercity 125 stock if you get the right train. When it's worked for me, I would do an hour's work on the train on the way down and an hour on the way back, to shorten my day on-site (10:00 to 16:00). I did have one client where that wouldn't work, so I took on an extra day's work spread over the week to use the train time profitably, but that was a bit of a killer, even if only for 6 months.

I would say that whatever you choose to do, you need a bit of a plan. How long are you going to do it for? Will you need to get some day's working at home, and if that's not a runner will you take some odd days off to keep sane? If you are coming back mid-week (e.g. Wed. night), can you arrange things so you start work early Wed. a.m. and leave early and then start work later Thu. a.m. and leave late? Also, you need to make sure the rate is right as getting up extra early to get the cheaper train is going to kill you. But having said all that... if you need to keep food on the table, you need to do what you need to do.

Comment

Now I hate driving (and getting stuck in traffic) and quite like it on a train. (IF you can get a seat and preferably no-one sitting next to you).

Been doing a 45-50 train each way for last two years. Train generally about 40% full. I sleep, read books, watch video, listen to music.

Considering a role in London. 1hr 45 by train. Pricing is nuts - £216 for a one off return or £234 for a weekly season. I think every day would be bit mad but it might be worth doing the trek home once/twice a week.

Anyone do similar? Am I living in a fantasy world though expecting trains into/out of london at peak times to be not rammed full?

Bugger driving though - even google maps is telling me up to 4 hours for the drive in the morning...
                Is that 1hr 45 door to door or is that just on the train?

I did 2hr 15 mins door to door last year for 3 months.

It was exhausting and that was a train that was always on time & never more than half full.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                  Just get an AirBnB in West London and then tube it to Earls Court, that way you can drive down early in the morning and miss most of the traffic.
                  I missed the Earl's Court part.

In that case, fly into London Heliport and black cab.

Comment

I hour 20 minutes in to Waterloo plus drive to the station and tube at the other end is a 2 hour door to door journey every day. Been doing it for 15 years on and off.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X