• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit DOOM™: BTL

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit DOOM™: BTL

"Rents in Britain have recorded their first annual drop for six years, according to the UK’s biggest estate and lettings agency.

In February, the average rent in Britain was £921 a month, £5 lower than a year earlier, and the first annual decrease since 2011. Countrywide, which compiled the figures, said the buying frenzy ahead of the hike in stamp duty last year pushed up the supply of new homes for letting by 10%. Meanwhile tenant demand has been dropping, particularly in London, possibly related to Brexit.
    England's housing market is 'broken', government admits in white paper

Rents are falling fastest in the capital, down 4.3% over the year to an average of £1,246 a month. It means tenants are now typically paying £63 a month less to secure an apartment compared to last year.

Rents in the south-east have also dropped, by an average of 2.6%, but in other parts of the UK they are still rising. Countrywide said rents in Wales were up 5.3% over the last 12 months to an average of £636 per month, while in the east of England they rose 3.1% to £945.

In London, the supply of new homes to let is up 18%, but the number of tenants looking for properties has fallen by 3%. Tenant demand is also falling in the south-east, but in other parts of the UK it continues to rise."

https://www.theguardian.com/business...y-hike-letting

Just after I bought my flat

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    "Rents in Britain have recorded their first annual drop for six years, according to the UK’s biggest estate and lettings agency.

In February, the average rent in Britain was £921 a month, £5 lower than a year earlier, and the first annual decrease since 2011. Countrywide, which compiled the figures, said the buying frenzy ahead of the hike in stamp duty last year pushed up the supply of new homes for letting by 10%. Meanwhile tenant demand has been dropping, particularly in London, possibly related to Brexit.
    England's housing market is 'broken', government admits in white paper

Rents are falling fastest in the capital, down 4.3% over the year to an average of £1,246 a month. It means tenants are now typically paying £63 a month less to secure an apartment compared to last year.

Rents in the south-east have also dropped, by an average of 2.6%, but in other parts of the UK they are still rising. Countrywide said rents in Wales were up 5.3% over the last 12 months to an average of £636 per month, while in the east of England they rose 3.1% to £945.

In London, the supply of new homes to let is up 18%, but the number of tenants looking for properties has fallen by 3%. Tenant demand is also falling in the south-east, but in other parts of the UK it continues to rise."

https://www.theguardian.com/business...y-hike-letting

Just after I bought my flat
    Why do you think I sold my BTLS last year?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Why do you think I sold my BTLS last year?
      So instead of the 5%/7%/10%/whatever return you were getting on your money, you're now getting 0.05% with it stuck in a government approved tax avoidance ISA

Comment

London rents have been falling for months, perhaps even for most of 2016. This is not new news.

London property prices have also been falling and remain subdued. But fortune favours those who bought 5 or 6 years ago and doubled their money in London (not me ). Prices were bound to come off the boil a bit, but they won't crash until the government has to raise rates and/or employment falls.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          So instead of the 5%/7%/10%/whatever return you were getting on your money, you're now getting 0.05% with it stuck in a government approved tax avoidance ISA
          Nope. Ride the markets, cowboy. Yee hah!
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Most important bit at the end of article:

"In contrast, it said house prices in Birmingham and Merseyside had hit a new peak. Average prices in Birmingham have hit £190,504, up 6.2% on the year. "

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              Have you seen how hard currencies have been doing against GBP?

Comment

Explain to me why rents dropping is bad, particularly in London where they are already rediculously and unsustainably high:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-57127030.html
                Studio flat to rent in West End Lane,London,NW6, NW6
                2 bedroom house to rent in Agar Grove, Camden, NW1, NW1

Sounds more like a correction of a bubble than because of Brexit. The article said 'probably' Brexit. Was Brexit to blame for the fall of house prices in 2008?
                Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                  Explain to me why rents dropping is bad, particularly in London where they are already rediculously and unsustainably high:

2 bedroom flat to rent in Seventh Floor Apartement, Erebus Drive, Royal Artillery Quays, London, SE28
                  Studio flat to rent in West End Lane,London,NW6, NW6
                  2 bedroom house to rent in Agar Grove, Camden, NW1, NW1

Sounds more like a correction of a bubble than because of Brexit. The article said 'probably' Brexit. Was Brexit to blame for the fall of house prices in 2008?
                  See if you can work this one out for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                    Bubbles don't get corrected - they get burst.

Triggers could be difference, in this case Brexit can easily be one for London property - a fair few foreigners don't feel welcome anymore and they'll move somewhere else.

Comment

Working...
                    X