• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting and working and living short term UP NORTH

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting and working and living short term UP NORTH

Hi

I had a few calls from agency earlier this week about contracting up north. I don't know much about the cities and town and the living expenses, apart from the obvious, it is normally cheaper than down south, below the Oxford to Northampton to Cambridge Maginot line.

Is there a website that contractor usually go to look this up information?

The cities in question are: Bradford, Sheffield, Manchester and Leeds. The length of contracts are from three months and rolling. Personally, I couldn't do three months in a bed and breakfast. What is accommodation like? Would you Air BnB or Home and Away it?

I was thinking positively about the potential as it will be soon be spring / summer and time chance to see the Peak District and AONBs.

It's not another bloody country you know..... What is accommodation like? Seriously?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
          Hi

I had a few calls from agency earlier this week about contracting up north. I don't know much about the cities and town and the living expenses, apart from the obvious, it is normally cheaper than down south, below the Oxford to Northampton to Cambridge Maginot line.

Is there a website that contractor usually go to look this up information?

The cities in question are: Bradford, Sheffield, Manchester and Leeds. The length of contracts are from three months and rolling. Personally, I couldn't do three months in a bed and breakfast. What is accommodation like? Would you Air BnB or Home and Away it?

I was thinking positively about the potential as it will be soon be spring / summer and time chance to see the Peak District and AONBs.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            It's not another bloody country you know..... What is accommodation like? Seriously?
            No offence NLUK. I knew you would get in there quickly!

I was not specific enough. I looking to tender a daily rate and negotiate accommodation and living expense to the recruitment and client. I am calculating a budget.

Would you stay in a bed and breakfast for the entire three months?
            How much would pay for accommodation on top of your daily contract rate (or rather accounting for living expenses deducted away for daily rate)?
            Would you stay in an air BnB for that?

Comment

I had a contract up there for a while and I rented a flat between Leeds and Bradford, relatively cheap rent (£600 a month including parking and all bills)

You get used to their version of reality after a while, and it makes you appreciate the finer things in life, like being stuck on the M25.
              It's not all bad, there's an indoor ski slope at Castleford.

...note, this thread may have to be moved to General.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                That takes me back. Whatever happen to that KLF band? Didn't he become a Mormon in the America or join a French monastery out in the Dordogne?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  It is if your're from Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
                    No offence NLUK. I knew you would get in there quickly!

I was not specific enough. I looking to tender a daily rate and negotiate accommodation and living expense to the recruitment and client. I am calculating a budget.

Would you stay in a bed and breakfast for the entire three months?
                    How much would pay for accommodation on top of your daily contract rate (or rather accounting for living expenses deducted away for daily rate)?
                    Would you stay in an air BnB for that?
                    What we would do is not what you may want to do.... I don't want to go NLUK on you but its hardly difficult.. Work out where you would like to stay (hotel / spareroom / b+b) then research the costs and make it part of your daily rate.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X