• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eyes wide opened on Syrian refugees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Either your German is horrible or you're quoting horrible German
    it was their german language course & she was a new starter?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Die erste. Immer. Oder vielleicht es ist Bayrisch Deutsch
      ist es

In the online lessons I've been doing I haven't encountered the Syrians you might expect. Yesterdays was three Romanians and me.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Die erste. Immer. Oder vielleicht es ist Bayrisch Deutsch
        Ja, es ist zwo, nicht zwei, stimmt?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I have an Afghani and a Syrian working for me over here. Their German and English are perfect. They both escaped their countries a few years ago and watch the news with sadness. They don't match the daily wail stereotype either.

Comment

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
            I have an Afghani and a Syrian working for me over here. Their German and English are perfect. They both escaped their countries a few years ago and watch the news with sadness. They don't match the daily wail stereotype either.
            Like this from 1900?

In 1900, its reporter described the passenger liner Cheshire docking in Southampton with "600 so-called refugees" among its passengers.

"There were Russian Jews, Polish Jews, German Jews, Peruvian Jews: all kinds of Jews, all manner of Jews. They fought and jostled for the foremost place at the gangways; they rushed and pushed into the troopshed, where the mayor of Southampton... had provided free refreshments. They had breakfasted well on board, but they rushed as though starving at the food. They cursed if they were not quickly served, they helped themselves at will, they thrust the children to the background, they pushed the women... they jostled and upset the weak, they spilled coffee on the ground in wanton waste.

"Incredible as it may seem, the moment they were in the [rail] carriages they played all manners of games at cards, staking sovereigns on a single card. These were the penniless refugees, and when the relief committee passed by they hid their gold and fawned and whined and... asked for money for their train fare."
            http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/a...publicservices

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              no I should imagine the Syrians had better manners.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                No, nothing like that. We did also have a large number of refugees housed in an office block between our two sites. This particular refuge had families in it and they had literally *nothing* with them. They were always polite when you met them on the streets and were taking lessons in German and in German integration. I'm sure that there are places that are choc-full of young men but the refugees that I have seen here have been families.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                  What about the fact that most are in fact young males?

To most reasonable people their varying skin tone is a non-issue, that's just projection on your part. Having said that, most are darker than the average Irish chick, but you've found an outlier that promotes your world view, bravo.
                  and this fair haired blue eyed prodigy is probably a plant anyway, a German undercover policewoman or with the BfV.

scooterscot is so gullible
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    and this fair haired blue eyed prodigy is probably a plant anyway, a German undercover policewoman or with the BfV.

scooterscot is so gullible
                    RACIST!
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      RACIST!
                      Only if he considers all Scots to be as gullible as Scooter.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X