• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In what language is this NOT a threat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In plain english it isn't a threat and actually makes some sense but obviously there is a lot to read between the lines which requires a back story i don't know

when my parents divorced my father (IT contractor) offered half of all assetts but it ended up going through the lawyers who took half of everything and my mum got the rest. everyone (apart from lawyers) would have been better off if he had accepted an arrangement like your ex has suggested

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      What a cheerful outlook you have on life. Who's your favourite musician, Leonard Cohen?
      Your point being? marriages are scam.
      I dont know a single person that wouldn't regret it. Even my mom... haha

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Yes.

They are still married.

Even if they divorced she can go back to court and demand more money of him.
        No have been divorced more than 2 years this is all happening after the final settlement. She was given lots of equity and when the house was sold she had money to find somewhere to live. Having failed to do that and spent money she is now demanding extra money calling it an investment which can only be realised by me taking her to court in a few years time to force her to sell their house so that I have some retirement money, in the meantime that initial investment of ??k is the loss of my rainy day money.

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
        So currently she's housed and remunerated by the state (at a level that is determined to be satisfactory for large numbers of people)?
        and you've got the court order for maintenance?

She'll just have to get a job then.
        As above but she is not state supported paying rent so slowly losing the old house equity, she can't get a job that she can hold onto - gave up the last one after a few weeks. Yes I am paying maintenance as per court order she says it's not enough and refuses to live within her means so no doubt a Maria Mills style case to come in about 8 to 10 years.

Originally posted by deebeegee View Post
        In plain english it isn't a threat and actually makes some sense but obviously there is a lot to read between the lines which requires a back story i don't know
        Yes I guess without a backstory it may not come across as a threat as clearly as it seems to me. I read "if you don't to x I will take you to court and it will cost you ££££." Had this been before the divorce was finalised then yes I could see that it would be the "normal" part of the settlement negotiation. I am supposed to be set free by the final court order, not have to face another court case within 2 years having adhered to the court order.
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
          Yes the famous 1%

My gf doesn't currently work , and take care of the baby. I get her she wants security.
          But I'm planning to provide it on my terms
          so lets see you think we should give you unlimited access to the UK yet your Girlfriend & Baby get what you choose to give them?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            so lets see you think we should give you unlimited access to the UK yet your Girlfriend & Baby get what you choose to give them?
            Yes UK is already married with us. Now give us half of your jobs and don't make the same mistake again.
            haha

Comment

did you get a final settlement in writing?

Can she identify where the money she believes you are hiding came from? Would you open your accounts to the CSA or court appointed expert (not hers).

Can you get her to mediation or at least offer.

Surely if you are seen to be reasonable she has to pay for the lawyer?

You started seeing someone else recently that seems to bring the nutty out in the ex.

Comment

Also remember that if you start paying a mortgage on a property she lives in and then want to buy your own, you will be limited. And have to pay second property tax.

And if she is going to contribute but then stop, you're liable for the whole amount.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                  Also remember that if you start paying a mortgage on a property she lives in and then want to buy your own, you will be limited. And have to pay second property tax.

And if she is going to contribute but then stop, you're liable for the whole amount.
                  He needs his head examined if he's going to buy her a property to live in. There is nothing wrong with them living in rental accommodation until she sorts out her job prospects and if she never sorts them out it's her own tough luck.

He's better of sorting out his affairs so if the kids choose they can come and live with him.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    He needs his head examined if he's going to buy her a property to live in. There is nothing wrong with them living in rental accommodation until she sorts out her job prospects and if she never sorts them out it's her own tough luck.

He's better of sorting out his affairs so if the kids choose they can come and live with him.
                    from the back story I agree. Sounds like she is spiralling down.

However she has manged to get his finances locked and has found a leech to bleed him dry.

Of course love it or hate it she is the mum of his kids.
                    Last edited by vetran; 3 March 2017, 15:16.

Comment

Sheesh, these horror stories about divorce settlements are beyond belief.

Seems like one lesson from the above discussion is that any payments conceded as part of a final settlement for a specific purpose, such as buying a house, should be paid into an escrow account and withdrawable from there only for the agreed purpose at the time this is put into effect.

Just paying the partner (usually the ex-wife) up front for some planned future purchase is madness if they can simply piss it up the wall and then come back demanding another bite of the cherry.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X