• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crap interviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crap interviews

Its friday so why not. Most pointless interviews you've had.

1) Perm job years ago. I had all the skills on the job spec on my CV. Spoke to them - they were going to train me in a new technology. Went for tech test day. The test was pretty much building something with this new tech. I'd never claimed to have any experience of this at all - so I was completely cluess.

They asked me for interview feedback and I told them they'd wasted my time. Might as well have tested me on brain surgery - I never claimed experience of that either!

2) Got train all the way to London on premise that job was near home. Stupidly I believed agent (I was fresh out of college). 5 mins into interview they ask me if I planned to relocate - end of interview.

Agent admitted later he knew all along but thought I'd fancy living in London when I got there. Made him cough up for train fare.

3) One interview was just 40 technical questions split into groups of 10. I had no experience of one of the groups (so 10 questions I just guessed).

If I remember I still had 29 out of 40. But they gave contract to someone who had 30/40.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Did they ask you if you'd rather tulip a brick or cry glass? http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...r-day-job.html
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

They did ask me if I'd shag a sheep or a goat? Easy one.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Was looking to get into the City after my first degree. Agent sent me to a sales job in an industrial estate in Kent.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Its friday so why not. Most pointless interviews you've had.

1) Perm job years ago. I had all the skills on the job spec on my CV. Spoke to them - they were going to train me in a new technology. Went for tech test day. The test was pretty much building something with this new tech. I'd never claimed to have any experience of this at all - so I was completely cluess.

They asked me for interview feedback and I told them they'd wasted my time. Might as well have tested me on brain surgery - I never claimed experience of that either!

2) Got train all the way to London on premise that job was near home. Stupidly I believed agent (I was fresh out of college). 5 mins into interview they ask me if I planned to relocate - end of interview.

Agent admitted later he knew all along but thought I'd fancy living in London when I got there. Made him cough up for train fare.

3) One interview was just 40 technical questions split into groups of 10. I had no experience of one of the groups (so 10 questions I just guessed).

If I remember I still had 29 out of 40. But they gave contract to someone who had 30/40.
          I'm sure most of us have had pointless interviews, when we were always going to get the gig anyway, but had to go through the tedious formalities.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            I'm sure most of us have had pointless interviews, when we were always going to get the gig anyway, but had to go through the tedious formalities.
            No follies of youth type interviews? Chances you failed to make the most of, or ones you should have turned your back on at the outset?

Comment

I interviewed someone in 1989. An hour interview. The idea was a 2 minute introduction. 20 minutes about them. 20 minutes about us. 18 minutes of general chat.

He had a 4 year CV and was still talking after 30 minutes. So I decided to let him carry on. After 1 hour I cut him off.

Apparently his last interview he was told he did not talk enough.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                No follies of youth type interviews? Chances you failed to make the most of, or ones you should have turned your back on at the outset?
                No, more regrets about people I've interviewed. Greatest regret was when I was interviewing a young pre-op transgender lad to take on the Wigan Wallgate gents end cubicle gig. Didn't seem right somehow, but he was down on his luck and I felt sorry for that pathetic little smile.

Reader, I married him.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post

Most certainly, labouring on a pub renovation job with a bunch of travelling Irish builders who were sleeping on the site.

A very unpleasant month or so
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Most certainly, labouring on a pub renovation job with a bunch of travelling Irish builders who were sleeping on the site.

A very unpleasant month or so
                    But how was it for you?

Comment

Working...
                    X