• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sharp rise in prices in coming weeks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    We've heard it for the last 8 months. It's always coming.
    It's already started.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

This isn't a surprise is it? I posted this back in the summer when we voted for Brexit and the currency collapsed.

Importing is around 9 months behind, so as we gorged ourselves over Xmas, everything else that was to be imported had been hit by the 20% drop in the dollar. The only bit that confused me was the rise in the FTSE (because of the drop).

Going forward this year, we is fooked. Luckily I found out that Guernsey doesn't charge VAT, so does anyone want a new iPhone?
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Going forward this year, we is fooked. Luckily I found out that Guernsey doesn't charge VAT, so does anyone want a new iPhone?
        Are you suggesting you're going to avoid declaring purchases made in the channel islands on your return to the mainland?!
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

All n all it is probably a good thing. The country needs to declare bankruptcy. We're broke. It is true debt levels to GDP are not the same historically speaking. However there's a significant difference. The economy is well and truly broken. Interest rates prove this. The economy has been broken for some years now. The cost of living has exploded in the past 10-15 years whilst wages have barely moved. And that's not to mention the cost of housing.

How will it unfold?

Prices will increase, people will buy less. Alarm bells should ring when domestic demand starts to fall as a result. GDP will now suffer as domestic demand plummets, there's now even less income in taxes for the exchequer. Suddenly the ratings agencies get wise, servicing our debts become a struggle. Credit ratings drop and our international lenders begin to increase the interest on our loans.

Investors start dumping sterling. Remember all the QE we dumped into the system? Watch it now come to bite back big style.

In years to come the brexiters may well just be credited with transforming the UK into a developing nation.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            All n all it is probably a good thing. The country needs to declare bankruptcy. We're broke. It is true debt levels to GDP are not the same historically speaking. However there's a significant difference. The economy is well and truly broken. Interest rates prove this. The economy has been broken for some years now. The cost of living has exploded in the past 10-15 years whilst wages have barely moved. And that's not to mention the cost of housing.

How will it unfold?

Prices will increase, people will buy less. Alarm bells should ring when domestic demand starts to fall as a result. GDP will now suffer as domestic demand plummets, there's now even less income in taxes for the exchequer. Suddenly the ratings agencies get wise, servicing our debts become a struggle. Credit ratings drop and our international lenders begin to increase the interest on our loans.

Investors start dumping sterling. Remember all the QE we dumped into the system? Watch it now come to bite back big style.

In years to come the brexiters may well just be credited with transforming the UK into a developing nation.
            And what has that sentence got to do with the argument up to that point. Remove the referendum result and nowt has changed..
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Developing sounds quite a positive word.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'm starting to get worried now......shall I cancel the order for a new Bentley and make do with an S Class and muddle through?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

How will it unfold?

Tulip Germany is bankrupt???
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    I'm starting to get worried now......shall I cancel the order for a new Bentley and make do with an S Class and muddle through?

No, keep the Bentley. You might want to reconsider the fur coat though....

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Developing sounds quite a positive word.
                      The liberal in me does not use the term 3rd world.

Comment

Working...
                      X